Hose bibb part question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjmattox

Reaction score
The pictured hose bibb is on the back wall of a townhouse garage I recently purchased. There is some kind of attachment to the hose bibb and whenever I turn it on water spurts out where the red circle is (Dry wall has not done well as a result). Additional pictures are of it removed. Note too the threads on the hose bibb are not typical garden hose threads.

What is that attachment and is it needed/required?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo1_LI.jpg
    11.8 MB · Views: 17
  • Photo2.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 11
  • Photo4.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 8
  • Photo5.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 5
It is a government mandated doohickey that helps prevent water being sucked back up through the hose, if the house water pressure drops or goes to zero.
This could contaminate the home water supply.

They usually only squirt a little when first turned on.
Or will squirt constantly if you only open the faucet to a weak stream.
They will squirt forever if the guts inside have failed.

Put a section of bath paneling or fiberglass tub wall around the faucet area.
Home Depot sells smaller handy panel sizes of plastic sheets like this.

Thanks I kind of figured it was something like that. Just odd since this townhouse was built about 5 years before my own home, which is a 10 minute walk away, but no "govt doohickeys" there. And first time I have seen that on the many homes I have lived in around the mid-west.

If it's spilling water on the drywall you can extend the connection to it farther from the wall so it drips on the ground. They make nipple type extenders hose bibs.

Latest posts

Back