horizontal wet vent mock up, Please advise

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartleyhs

Reaction score
I will be ripping out my previous attempt at this per Frodo’s suggestion. Here is the mock up for my new plan. I will be doing a horizontal wet vent for the bathroom group and kitchen sink. I would appreciate feedback from the pros. (I promise if you help me through this I will never attempt this on my own again.)
Attached are two views. ThanksBB3F2E2C-E7A7-491D-985F-8464DD197786.jpeg
C4A18E11-4119-4770-AF04-C38951F3909F.jpeg

Thanks Frodo.
Now I am going to ask a couple of “why” questions. Please dont take offense. I’m not questioning your expertise, just need the whys and whatfors to be able to understand and learn

#1 Why the extra pipe to take the WC all the way to the sink vent and back rather than what I have. Is it for accessibility (less is in the wall and more in the crawlspace)?

#2 I see what you’re saying about the tub drain, but doesn't this now create a dry horizontal vent under the floor? That’s not allowed is it?

#3 you have the WC connecting after the kitchen sink. That makes sense because I’ve seen a lot of posts in these forums that say the toilet always goes at the end. My question is that the florida code says any fixture not part of the bathroom group has to connect down stream of the group. I will attach it, it is very possible I am not understanding that correctly.
Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.
4144FF44-4E7F-49CA-8104-9C93CEB45123.jpeg

By the way, I realized it might be helpful to have the picture showing where the vents/walls, etc are. Its not exactly to scale but its a basic representation of where things are located.DE158BDC-FEDF-408C-8A6B-667E76C01118.jpeg

I dont know why the mock up is showing up here, but I cant get rid of it.

Attachments

• CB094CFE-84FB-4FDF-B01C-699B4CF1EB3C.jpeg
    CB094CFE-84FB-4FDF-B01C-699B4CF1EB3C.jpeg
    654.1 KB · Views: 4
Thanks Frodo.
Now I am going to ask a couple of “why” questions. Please dont take offense. I’m not questioning your expertise, just need the whys and whatfors to be able to understand and learn

#1 Why the extra pipe to take the WC all the way to the sink vent and back rather than what I have. Is it for accessibility (less is in the wall and more in the crawlspace)?

#2 I see what you’re saying about the tub drain, but doesn't this now create a dry horizontal vent under the floor? That’s not allowed is it?

#3 you have the WC connecting after the kitchen sink. That makes sense because I’ve seen a lot of posts in these forums that say the toilet always goes at the end. My question is that the florida code says any fixture not part of the bathroom group has to connect down stream of the group. I will attach it, it is very possible I am not understanding that correctly.
View attachment 23230

Because what you have drawn is illegal. On a vertical the vent is on the top, the way you have it. when the toilet flushes the vent is cut off because of the water.

It is perfectly legal, as long as the vent take off is rolled so the vent is above the water/bottom of pipe

Reread the code you posted

It says. Only the fixtures within te bathroom groups shall connect to the horizontal BRANCH drain.
the Branch begins at the combination off of the building drain.
look at it like a tree, the main or building drain is the trunk
the line going to the bathroom is a branch

you did not draw in the existing vent it needs to tie into the building drain

Attachments

• fuc up.jpg
    fuc up.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 5
Thank you for taking the time to explain.
Does this fix the toilet / Lav connection?
A5A0D59E-7BFA-4499-AD1E-83BC74F23F40.jpeg

[you did not draw in the existing vent it needs to tie into the building drain]

The existing vent (that penetrates the roof) is the one by the tub. This was why I did the convoluted hook up at the tub drain because I was thinking there had to be a fixture connected before the vent stack to keep a portion of the horizontal pipe from being dry. This is what I was trying to avoid.. Am I wrong about this being a problem?
9DC07985-2DD7-441B-9092-036C997EF48C.jpeg

Your location says Oregon that is UPC code
you said in your post you are in Florida, that is IPC

706.4 Heel- Or Side-Inlet Quarter Bends

Heel-inlet quarter bends shall be an acceptable means of connection, except where the quarter bend serves a water closet. A low-heel inlet shall not be used as a wet-vented connection. Side-inlet quarter bends shall be an acceptable means of connection for drainage, wet venting and stack venting arrangements.

use a tee. not that low heel

A5A0D59E-7BFA-4499-AD1E-83BC74F23F40.jpeg

Your location says Oregon that is UPC code
you said in your post you are in Florida, that is IPC

706.4 Heel- Or Side-Inlet Quarter Bends

Heel-inlet quarter bends shall be an acceptable means of connection, except where the quarter bend serves a water closet. A low-heel inlet shall not be used as a wet-vented connection. Side-inlet quarter bends shall be an acceptable means of connection for drainage, wet venting and stack venting arrangements.

use a tee. not that low heel

View attachment 23238
My permanent address is Oregon. I am in Florida working on a tiny old house we bought when my husband was stationed here (Navy). The tenants moved out so I came back to get the house ready to put on the market. So yes IPC is what we’re dealing with here. Its not a typical flip though. I am taking my time and trying to make sure its all done correctly. I moved the lavatory from one side of the room to the other and that seems to be what has caused the venting issues.

Got it. I will change out the WC/ lav with a tee.
Now for the tub side where the main vent stack is. Can I do the same thing there with a tee on the vertical vent? Like this..
56CD4FAD-E4AF-4FCF-86D6-0E70F4DEC378.jpeg

That’s great and will make it a lot easier.
Thank you SO much for your time. You have been more than generous sharing your knowledge.
I will let you know how the inspection goes.

UPDATE:
Frodo,
I wanted to let you know I completed the drains as you drew them and it passed inspection, and as promised, I will NEVER attempt a drainage system again.
The reason it took so long was, while I was doing the belly crawl in the crawlspace I pulled a muscle ( one of the obliques) It hurt worse than giving birth to a 12 pound baby (which I have done). Luckily, I had the toilet and vanity hooked up before that happened, but having to crawl back out with that pain was brutal, I honestly wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it out. It took 3 weeks for that to heal, and then my septic tank decided to cave in, so I had to deal with that. I‘m really starting to hate this house.
My take away: Plumbers are worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY. I can‘t imagine how you guys get into those tight spaces much less work in there.
Anyway, THANK YOU Frodo for your help and for your patience answering all my questions.

UPDATE:
Frodo,
I wanted to let you know I completed the drains as you drew them and it passed inspection, and as promised, I will NEVER attempt a drainage system again.
The reason it took so long was, while I was doing the belly crawl in the crawlspace I pulled a muscle ( one of the obliques) It hurt worse than giving birth to a 12 pound baby (which I have done). Luckily, I had the toilet and vanity hooked up before that happened, but having to crawl back out with that pain was brutal, I honestly wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it out. It took 3 weeks for that to heal, and then my septic tank decided to cave in, so I had to deal with that. I‘m really starting to hate this house.
My take away: Plumbers are worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY. I can‘t imagine how you guys get into those tight spaces much less work in there.
Anyway, THANK YOU Frodo for your help and for your patience answering all my questions.
Your welcome

I will be ripping out my previous attempt at this per Frodo’s suggestion. Here is the mock up for my new plan. I will be doing a horizontal wet vent for the bathroom group and kitchen sink. I would appreciate feedback from the pros. (I promise if you help me through this I will never attempt this on my own again.)
Attached are two views. ThanksView attachment 23225
View attachment 23226
The shower is vented properly. It’s within the developed length and the trap is protected by the vertical vent.

If you put too much fall on the pipe or tried to go too far before the vent then it would be illegal as it would become an s

There’s no rule that says drains and vents must be positioned vertical for a shower drain.

I’ve piped many homes on slabs and we often vented showers and tubs in the manner.
My person home is piped just like you have your shower drawn minus the cleanout and it’s been working for 22 years.

The vent must take off at 45 degrees or greater unless washed by a fixture.
You met that requirement because you had your shower vent vertical... not laying less than 45 from the drain it’s connected to.

Old thread but I wanted to clear that up.

Last edited:
I did not advise him to move the vent, I moved the trunk line removed 3- unneeded 45 degree offsets redrew his vent back where he had using a rolled vent

so what is your problem? ,

the mock up drawing was an example of pisspoor plumbing which i redrew, cleaned up

I did not advise him to move the vent, I moved the trunk line removed 3- unneeded 45 degree offsets redrew his vent back where he had using a rolled vent

so what is your problem? ,

the mock up drawing was an example of pisspoor plumbing which i redrew, cleaned up
There was nothing wrong with the way this was mocked up. Nothing needed to be changed.
5A1FEF5D-76BE-4F42-BD64-2AE31D6A0F02.jpeg
there are different ways but there’s nothing wrong with how it’s done in this pic. I have no idea why he used those 45’s......maybe to go around something already in the ground. No one can say it’s wrong....

I can say that I wouldn’t have done it either way y’all did it. Stacking fittings vertically will have you digging to China. That’s where Covid came from......🤷‍♂️

Why is it that no one likes to be questioned about a layout ? I’ve never understood why that offends people.

I’ve been taught to question layouts. That’s how people learn rather than just “ doing what they know “ because that’s how they were taught.

So dont take it personal. It’s just plumbing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back