Hooking up to septic tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdibbs

Reaction score
I purchased a building and there is an existing septic tank and field with nothing hooked to it. I want to put a bathroom in the building but the tank is 140 feet away and is at a higher grade than the building. Is there anything I can do so I can use the existing septic?

That sounds like something you'd have to discuss with an inspector from your local Dept of Health & Sanitation. They would know the rules for your area and whether or not you have field lines & such. Tank will need to have an inlet in a spot where the pipe can reach but pipe will need to slope at least 1/8" per ft. So, you'll have about 17-1/2" drop over 140ft.

Good point, Greynolds. I keep forgetting some people have mechanical systems where they have septic pumps. My system fortunately didn't need it, but my tank is a little over 10' from my house.

But the local health dept should be able to specify what sort of pumps would be necessary & give a list of licensed contractors that can do the work. Septic is something they insist has permits when worked on & is not a homeowner/DIY thing.

Latest posts

Back