Homebrew Tool - Galvanized Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riickk

Reaction score
Galvanized drain line, age 60.
24" Sink Cabinet - No leverage for wrench
How do I get this pipe out? ...... THIS way:

yLrbS0g.jpg

Last edited:
Spray thd threads let it sit for a while,spin the wrench 180 degrees wack the end of the wrench with a smal 3 lb sledge see if it moves
There is another more evasive way so try this first

Heated it, whacked it, used penetrating oil, nothing, no movement.
Finally got threads to break loose using the jack, and lots of heat.
I'm amazed at how clean the threads are inside that fitting.

CaoeBzO.jpg

Last edited:
That is pretty clever!
Did you need to put a wide board under the jack, to avoid busting out the bottom of the cabinet?
Anyway, very cool idea which I bet I will use someday, thanks!

Is that a disposer in the way there?

You could maybe remove that pretty easily.

Also, after applying penetrating oil, you can vibrate the female threads by chucking a bolt into a hammer drill, and holding the bolt head against the rim of the tee, all around.
The vibration helps the threads to suck up the oil.

However, standing ovation once again for a great use of the old noodle.

Hi Jeff... Just saw your post. Thanks for the kudos.
It was a pickle, no room to swing pipe wrench down on left, using the little jack to apply torque UP crossed my mind as a crazy idea ..... maybe crazy enough to actually work. Yes, heard the cabinet floor make noise, and thought of bringing out some plywood, but pipe broke loose before I needed that.

Key in this case was getting enough heat into a heavy 1-1/2 inch galvanized Tee ...and not set fire to old wallpaper, studs, etc. I slipped the torch *into* the pipe far enough to only heat the Tee. When the ancient pipe-dope started to sizzle and bubble out, then, finally, the pipe would move with each pump of the jack.

Last edited:
Back