Home Inspection - Thoughts on hot water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjanders1979

Reaction score
Story: had home inspection (the first two pics attached), inspector noted the build up/possible corrosion on the hot/water inputs at top of tank.

We asked seller to have plumber come and inspect. They had Roto Rooter come out who said there is no leak and it just needed cleaning with a wire brush (second two pics attached). They left a bottle of Pipe Shield even though I believe that is for inside of pipes so not sure how that might help.

Tank was installed 2019 so pretty new and house was built in 2000 so also relatively new. Our worry is something caused that build up/corrosion and a simple cleaning isn't solving root problem.

Trying to understand if this could in fact be "normal" or we need to push back and get our own guy in there to take a look. Any thoughts from the group here?

Attachments

• Cold - Before.jpg
    Cold - Before.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Hot - Before.jpg
    Hot - Before.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Cold - After.JPG
    Cold - After.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Hot - After.JPG
    Hot - After.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 31
I would’ve wanted that nipple replaced.

I would also like to know why your water heater is piped with 1/2” pipe, or is that 1” nipples out of the tank with 1”Fip x 3/4” swt reducer fittings ? 🤓

Looks like copper threaded direct to steel, which will corrode, I would have used brass adapters.
Yes the nipples look like hell, they should be replaced, and the piping should be attached with dielectric unions or at least a brass transition between the copper to steel.
One picture looks like they used a dielectric union, but they can fail, or the plastic insulators can be damaged during install, and a weak electrical current can develop which gradually destroys the metal.

It is impossible to tell from the pictures if dielectric nipples were used or not. Most codes require either dielectric nipples or dielectric unions.

Those plastic lined nipples don’t do Jack crap but rust out. Either from the inside or from condensation on the outside.

They shouldn’t be allowed IMO, they cause more problem than they solve.

Back