Hiring a plumber that does not have workers' comp

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if you hire a reputable company and ask for an insurance cert and they provide it than you will be fine. In commercial work I have to send an insurance cert to anyone asking, it costs me nothing more to do so and I expect it. It's an Accord form and it shows my coverages for work comp, general liability and commercial auto. I carry 1 million in General Liability and 1 Million in Commercial auto.

In California you can look up the contractors license at cslb.ca.gov it will also say if they have work comp and with who. Sometimes things have lapse and it doesn't read correctly so if they say they have insurance and it doesn't show it get a cert, when you get the cert make sure it is dated about the same day you requested or recieved it. I cert from a month ago could be invalid.

https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/onlineservices/checklicenseII/checklicense.aspx

I checked your IP and I know of a few commercial plumbers in your area and Mr.David is a plumber in your area if you wanted to get a referrals from him, he is a good guy and I know him personally, he tries to run me over with his jeep from time to time.

Final question for this thread so I can be clear with future contractor hiring.

As mentioned in this thread, in California a business owner is exempt from having workers' comp insurance.

Does this mean if a business owner works at our home and is injured we are not liable for his injuries or lost wages?

Last edited:
Now I reading that in order for a homeowner to be liable for injuries to a contractor the homeowner has to be negligent.

Can anyone clear this up?

Think of this also-

If you have an unlicensed, uninsured and/or un-bonded person (including a family member or friend) come in and as a result performs shoddy/out of code workmanship and/or resultant damage(s), you will most likely have no recourse. Your insurance carrier will most likely tell you to have a nice day.

Back