high volume for garden

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickngrin

Reaction score
Whats the best way to get high flow to my garden? (outdoor hose bib) This is residential, so best I can really do is 3/4 pipe...OK fine, no prob> BUT, all I can find is 1/2 inch frost proof hose bibs....and to make it worse....looking in the the end of the bib, the actual hole for the valve is only a 1/4 to 3/8 hole (restriction)
Perhaps I need to forget frost proof and just put a 3/4 boiler drain out there?
Is there any benefit to running 3/4 pipe to a 1/2 inch valve?
I guess I could stub out 3/4 and put a 3/4 ball valve out there- as long as I leave a shutoff with a drain inside the house.
- what would you do?

Thanks for the responses, the garden edge is only 25 feet away from the home, but the farthest edge , being a large 80 by 40 plot, is close to 100 feet away.
My ultimate goal is to run an underground line to a yard hydrant actually in the garden.
Update:
I have decided to install a 3/4 ball valve on the line inside the home, and slope the whole line so I can drain the line in winter. This enables me to use a simple 3/4 inch sill cock outside the home, equipped with a 3/4 ball valve type shut off (no restriction). I'll just have to remember each year to manually close and drain the line......just like the good old days!!!

Latest posts

Back