High pressure causing relief valve leak?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmo

Reaction score
After install of new 80 gal elec heater, small intermittent leak from temp pressure valve. Changed valve, still leaks. I checked the pressure and I am running aroun 82 PSI. Does anyone know the remedy? Do I have to go to a pressure reducing valve, or will a neck down section from 0.75 to 0.25 inches suffice?

82 PSI should not be enough to open the temperature/pressure relief valve. Considering that you have already changed the valve, my guess is that the water transitioning from cold to hot after you use a sizable amount of hot water is causing a high pressure situation that is causing the valve to release. Installing a thermal expansion tank should resolve this.

Hey gizmo
I agree with phishfood, leaking problem is caused by high pressure, the water transitioning from cold to hot this process resize the water and increases pressure so i suggest you contact any nearby reliable Hot Water Heater Replacement company to short your leaking problem.

Thanks

Regards
Jimclemmer

Last edited:
Back