Hi & My Plumbing Tip

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY-DUMMY

Reaction score
Hi all. I posted on the shower/tub forum for some help and am now over here to introduce myself. I selected the forum name DIY-DUMMY as it seems very fitting for me and plumbing.

I am usually pretty good otherwise with woodworking and electrical work.

I thought I would share a free plumbing tip I picked up a while back when working on bathroom remodel the hard way.

Never bust up a good toilet.

I had a single bathroom in a house many years ago and did a complete tear out to the studs. I had a new toilet (along with other fixtures) purchased ready to install. I finally came to the point where the old toilet needed removed to do the drywall behind the toilet.

I broke it up in small pieces and worked late to complete to drywall. A very late night got everything all but completed. Once I woke up in the morning, I put on the finishing touches of drywall and subfloor and was ready to set the new toilet. (I knew it would be coming out again in a few weeks when we painted and laid the floor.)

The bowl install went fine be when I went to install the tank, it hit the wall. hhhhmmmm.... I check a few things and after a couple of calls, I discovered there were 10", 12", and 14" rough ins. I had a 10" but purchased a 12" at the home center.

That is when I found out that 10" models were special order. Two weeks or more from every place I checked. So now I have no toilet for the only bathroom.

Did I mention I have a family? Opps...

The good news is at the very end of the day, I found a 10" rough in toilet at a small shop. The bad news is it was a custom order that nobody picked up from a couple of years ago. It was very nice but the wrong color and $350. What could I do but buy it. :(

If I only had not busted up the old working toilet. Lesson learned.

Back