Hi from MA

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckbutter

Reaction score
No IPC, UPC or Boca, I'm from the one state that has to have it's own unique code.

Looking forward to meeting fellow plumbers & exchanging thoughts.

Technically, it's "illegal" for a homeowner to replace a faucet, repair a toilet, MA is one of just a few states where the H/O can't pull plumbing permits.

For anything gas related, absolutely not, for a water heater, think CO from improper venting, or a slow gas leak building up in a basement.

Just did a service call months back, Veissman combi was gushing CO straight into the home, vent was installed wrong & fell apart, no CO detector, homeowner just happened to catch it while doing laundry.

Last edited:
Taxachusetts. The state that ignored CDC protocols and would not give my father (age 98) a Covid vaccine because there’s nothing wrong with him. A hop across the border to RI solved that.

The “ illegality” of installing a water heater etc. doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.Homeowners do it anyway.

Taxachusetts. The state that ignored CDC protocols and would not give my father (age 98) a Covid vaccine because there’s nothing wrong with him. A hop across the border to RI solved that.

The “ illegality” of installing a water heater etc. doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.Homeowners do it anyway.
Eh.....nice...to...meet you.

And yes, sadly, every year the local news has home fires & residents dying in their sleep from CO poisoning from Homeowners or landlords modifying gas heat/water heaters.

Last edited:
Nice to meet you, rare finding MA plumbers in online forums for some reason.
There used to be a guy online mech engineer from reading here he was extremely knowledgeable, he actually work with my father they worked on the design of deer island and the Lawrence sewage treatment plant together ,
There are some very knowledgeable people on this site I'm sure you will give some insight ,and learn a few things glad to have you

There used to be a guy online mech engineer from reading here he was extremely knowledgeable, he actually work with my father they worked on the design of deer island and the Lawrence sewage treatment plant together ,
There are some very knowledgeable people on this site I'm sure you will give some insight ,and learn a few things glad to have you
Sounds like he worked for the MWRA.

Engineers are a HUGE asset in online forums like this.

Speaking of Reading, that town has a tough, old school inspector, Paul R. I love the guy but a lot of plumbers cringe working there.

Eh.....nice...to...meet you.

And yes, sadly, every year the local news has home fires & residents dying in their sleep from CO poisoning from Homeowners or landlords modifying gas heat/water heaters.

That’s odd on a state where it’s “ illegal “ for anyone but licensed people do the work.

Here it’s rare that someone has carbon monoxide poisoning or death and homeowners are allowed to work on their own plumbing.

It’s a lot colder up there, people insulate a lot more. I’m sure that’s a factor as well.

Here the consensus is that homeowners are going to do the work anyway so you may as well sell them a permit and that way it can be inspected.

Just Google "carbon monoxide poisoning" under the Google "news" category.

It's common down south too, people using gennies during/after hurricanes without realizing the exhaust is lethal.

Texas as well during that freeze.

Granted, you won't stop a landlord or homeowner from doing plumbing, but for gas I won't offer assistance, there are too many seemingly small details that can be misunderstood.

A tiny interior gas leak is a home explosion over time, a small CO leak can extend a nights sleep for a family, permanently.

Just Google "carbon monoxide poisoning" under the Google "news" category.

It's common down south too, people using gennies during/after hurricanes without realizing the exhaust is lethal.

Texas as well during that freeze.

Granted, you won't stop a landlord or homeowner from doing plumbing, but for gas I won't offer assistance, there are too many seemingly small details that can be misunderstood.

A tiny interior gas leak is a home explosion over time, a small CO leak can extend a nights sleep for a family, permanently.

Yeah, I don’t care. It doesn’t happen that much here and the fact that it’s still happening in Massachusetts kinda tells me your codes not working as intended if it’s for “ safety “

Homeowners installing water heaters isn’t killing many people......that’s just a fact. People are installing them everyday all over the country.

That’s why the started installing relief valves on heaters at the factory. To make it safer......no worries about a water heater vent. 🤣

A gas stove burns more btu than a 40 gal regular tank does. No vents on gas stoves right ? 🤣

Sums it up for me.

Me too.......guess what ? I never wore a Covid mask either. Sometimes I don’t wear a seatbelt.

I’m a real dangerous type guy.

I even change my brake pads on my cars .....then take it out on the road with everyone else. I’m no auto mechanic......

See.....I’m dangerous. 🤣

Latest posts

Back