Hercules Clobber...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helgen

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not a plumber at all, but I have a really messed up tub drain that almost never unclogs. I noticed I had some clobber under my sink that someone had left here previously, and I applied it wearing a mask and glasses.

I only put about a pint in it, maybe less, but I was wondering how long before I can open my bathroom door? I put a fan in there and opened the window, this was about 10 minutes ago.

Clobber is a VERRY aggressive drain cleaner. It heats up when it comes in contact with water. I have seen it crack a chrome trap. One customer poured some in standing water in a stainless steel sink, it turned the sink black. Never use drain cleaners on a plugged drain. On a tub drain use a plunger first, if that doesn't work then use a snake. Remove the overflow plate and stuff a rage in the opening when using a plunger. Snake the line through the overflow.
If you call a plumber tell him what you used in the drain before he starts working on it. Getting any of that Clobber on him will cause burns.

The general rule for a lot of plumbers is that by the time you think you need a chemical drain cleaner, it is already too late for it to do you any good. Of course there are exceptions but that is for people that are trained with the chemicals.

Clobber for instance is sulfuric acid. Used incorrectly, not only can it damage fixtures and your piping but it can cause life changing (or life ending) injuries.

Oooh That clobber is some bad stuff, I have a burnt spot left on my leg from MR CLOBBER. Can't count the Pairs of pants that where ruin from drain cleaners.

I have been unblocking drains for years and I find the best way to unblock a stubourn sink drain is to use a vet vac it dislodges the blockage very well
Works for me

johnjh2o said:
Sounds like we all spent a lot of money on drain cleaning equipment for nothing.:D

I have the expensive drain cleaning equipment jetter cables
The Hoover works very well

BENANDALFIE said:
I have the expensive drain cleaning equipment jetter cables
The Hoover works very well

Try it before you knock it that's the good thing about being in a trade you can try to share and help your ideas and experience
Some plumbers are better than others

The general rule for a lot of plumbers is that by the time you think you need a chemical drain cleaner, it is already too late for it to do you any good. Of course there are exceptions but that is for people that are trained with the chemicals.

Clobber for instance is sulfuric acid. Used incorrectly, not only can it damage fixtures and your piping but it can cause life changing (or life ending) injuries.
I found this forum thread while googling Hercules Clobber.

Anyway, this post scares me.
Can someone elaborate on the "Used incorrectly,...it can cause life changing (or life ending) injuries" comment?

Do I have to open my windows?

I ask because I used it about 20 minutes ago and my house stinks to high heaven. I mean really REALLY stinks!

The biggest danger is to someone who works trying to open the drain after the chemical is applied. Make sure you tell anyone who does so what you used.

I was told that all I had to do was pour that down the drain and that it would unclog it. That all I had to do was open the faucet to clear out the dirty gunk and all would be well. They did not say the drain had to be opened. Whatever that means :(

Ah I see. Well the water in my tub was standing. It wouldn't go down at all. I removed it with buckets and such. Then I added the Clobber. The Clobber itself also pooled, but it did get hot as hell and stunk to high heaven.

I explained the situation to the hardware places (I went to more than 1) and both recommended Clobber.

Depending on the responses, I may have to start a new thread so as to not hijack this one.

The biggest problem with things like Clobber and other hydrochloric acid based drain cleaners is that people use them after using hypochlorite based products like Draino. This creates chlorine gas which is extremely poisonous.

The other safety problem is what chemist call heat of solution. Which occurs with both sodium hypochlorite and hydrochloric acid solutions. You can actually generate enough heat to cause the water to boil, or melt plastic drain lines. If the drain is just slow, the water running through the clog will carry away that heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

No. I did not use Draino or any such thing.

I will start a thread specific to my issue, as I dont want this one to get off topic.

Back