Help with well pump installation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdh1126

Reaction score
I just installed a Flotec Series FP4300 1HP Convertible deep well jet pump for use with surface water (lake) to run my hydraulic boat lift and provide water to a couple outdoor faucets. The unit required that I install an ejector kit if being used with surface water, which I did. I do not hve it hooked to a pressure tank. The intake has a foot valve. When I turned on the power with no faucett open it took under a minute to build to 50psi and shut off. When I opened the faucett it spurts water at first but then the pressue goes way down. The pump is going crazy - shooting down below 30psi and cycling on , shooting up to 50 psi and shutting off about once per second or even faster and doing this over and over. Any thoughts? Would I be better off with a shallow well pump rather than a deep well that is convertible? thank you

Sadly you bought one of the cheapest pumps on the market.

You wired the electric to the pressure switch as if you were going to use a tank. If your not going to use a tank, then wire the pump direct. Don't use the pressure switch. Don't run the pump deadhead either as it will only last about 10 to 15 minutes before it heats up and nukes itself.

Thank you very much for your help. What pump brand would you recommend? In particular is there one that would work well without a pressure tank? Also - what does it mean to run the pump deadhead?

I naturally recommend the brand I sell, it's a National Pump brand called Betta Flo. My cheapest Jet Pump is the SW-50 but is still a very good one for your install.

Any pump will work fine without a tank as long as you don't run them (deadhead) without using water. The pressure builds to max (which by itself isn't bad) but the friction of the impeller turning in the same water begins to heat up to boiling temp and melts all kinds of plastic.

You need a tank.

If you are pumping into a pond or just open flow, then its ok not to use a tank.
If you are going to use any kind of hose or valve that may be shut, then you NEED a tank.
Like has been said, if the pump dead heads, it will tear it self up very fast.

Travis

Back