Help with temporary repair to hole in kitchen sink drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hrerpgal

Reaction score
I've got double sinks in my kitchen. The metal drain pipe under the left sink, which I rarely run water thru, has a hole in it. It's about 1/8" x 3/18". In light of what's happening in the world today, I prefer not to have anyone in the house until this whole covid 19 pandemic is over. What's the best temporary fix for this. I don't plan on running any water, but my dish drainer is on that side so there is some water that may trickle thru. The pipes are about 20 years old, so should I have them all changed over to PVC when I get someone in to fix the leak? Thanks.

Thanks, but I'm 69 and I don't want to go into stores right now. We're in lockdown here, and I am planning on only venturing out in the morning when the grocery opens for old people like me. But only when I run out of food in a couple weeks. Was thinking of epoxy or something that I can order online. I guess I'll just put paper towels in the sink to catch the few drips from the dish drainer. I'll have my a friend change them when this is all over.

Thanks, but I'm 69 and I don't want to go into stores right now. We're in lockdown here, and I am planning on only venturing out in the morning when the grocery opens for old people like me. But only when I run out of food in a couple weeks. Was thinking of epoxy or something that I can order online. I guess I'll just put paper towels in the sink to catch the few drips from the dish drainer. I'll have my a friend change them when this is all over.

get a can of that stuff you see on tv....flex seal. dry the pipe, make sure it is clean
use 3 coats. spray the pipe, then place a small piece of paper over the hole
spray the pipe, let dry. spray it again

Silicone repair tape will likely do pretty well for you.
Until pipes are replaced.

It sticks to itself, is thin and rubbery, and is easy to just tightly wrap around the bad spot.

You wipe the loose crud off the drain pipe.
Start wrapping tightly an inch or two before the hole, continue wrapping with generous overlaps, finish an inch or two past the hole.

You can still use a bucket if some drips escape.

Sometimes you need to add a few wraps of duct tape at the finished end, so it won’t start unwrapping.

You can find tapes like this everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproofing-Silicone-Plumbers-Rubberized-SolutioNerd/dp/B0713VT16Q

Last edited:
Am I correct in assuming that hole was from a previous reverse osmosis water drain line? If not, and you are just developing holes in your drain system, you may be looking at a much larger hidden problem. If you have to go to the store to get that previously mentioned spray, or tape, you may as well just replace the pipe if it was an intentionally drilled hole. T

Take a picture for us, we can help you fix it.

Am I correct in assuming that hole was from a previous reverse osmosis water drain line? If not, and you are just developing holes in your drain system, you may be looking at a much larger hidden problem. If you have to go to the store to get that previously mentioned spray, or tape, you may as well just replace the pipe if it was an intentionally drilled hole. T

Take a picture for us, we can help you fix it.
No, not correct. Just a hole. I suspect it's because there wasn't enough pitch and the water was standing in that area. But that's just a guess. I've attached two photos to show you. Thanks.

Attachments

• Sink hole 1.jpg
    Sink hole 1.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Sink hole 2.jpg
    Sink hole 2.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 13
I'm not a plumber, but owned rental units for many years. Some of those chrome-plated-brass drain lines seem to get paper-thin & fragile over time, and then fail. I've had them crumble as soon as I put a wrench on them.

Replacing that line with PVC should be a simple job, but if you've never done it, can take forever to get it right, or, you can scr@w it up. Ask me how much I had to learn in the 1970s.
o_O

The tape that Jeff suggested will work, unless the rest of that drain pipe is ready to crumble in your hand.
The Epoxy idea you floated early-on should also work - I like the type that comes in two sticks, and you roll two equal amounts together. All you need do (once pipe is clean!) is form a patch into & around the hole, and then lay a ring of epoxy around the pipe that then goes over the patch to keep it from moving at all.

That foam in a can is pretty good for that. Ive used it on jobs when its 5pm an no parts with.

No, not correct. Just a hole. I suspect it's because there wasn't enough pitch and the water was standing in that area. But that's just a guess. I've attached two photos to show you. Thanks.
I hate to see anyone spend money that they do not have to.
Look..I understand you are 69 years old. I get it. I am sexyone years old
But that fix is EASY.
If you can get up off the floor after you have sat on it. then you can fix this.

Here is what you need to buy.
I am going to give you the links to home depot. You can order this online

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-6-in-Hack-Saw-with-Comfort-Grip-Handle-122JHSC/204748808https://www.homedepot.com/p/ANVIL-8-in-Groove-Joint-Pliers-ANVILP8TG/303659210https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plu...r-Tubular-Drain-Applications-23917P/312083002https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-Plastic-Slip-Joint-Washer/1070381

Latest posts

Back