Help with Sprinkler pump location

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyLaker

Reaction score
Here is my scenario.

· This irrigation pump is for a DIY lawn springer system application at our cottage in Manitoba Canada.
· The total height from the lake to the top of the yard is 12 feet.
· To get the pump close to the shore, because of obstructions that I would have to work around, I would have to run approx. 200’ of power cable from the electrical panel to the pump. This obviously means heavier cable and more voltage loss. The alternative place I could install pump is @ 65 feet from the shoreline. This would allow me to run only @ 90 feet of electrical cable from the panel to the pump, which would mean less power cable, and less voltage drop. I would then just need more poly pipe between the pump and the foot valve.
· I will be using rainbird sprinkler heads 3 per zone which have a flow of 3.8 gallons per minute@50psi, and 3 gallons per minute @40 psi.

I guess the questions I have are:

1. In your opinion, could go with scenario #2 and place the pump 75 ft from waters edge and use more inlet poly pipe rather than going with such a long run of power cable ?
2. I was originally thinking of a 1 1/2 hp pump. Do you think I would need a 2 hp pump, and which pump could you recommend.

I have read through specs, and according a 1 1/2hp should do. But, it is easier for a pump to push water than pull water from what I have read. So, having said that is having the pump 75' from waters edge is a detriment.

I have read through specs, and according a 1 1/2hp should do. But, it is easier for a pump to push water than pull water from what I have read. So, having said that is having the pump 75' from waters edge is a detriment.
Again, I’d have to read the pumps specs. or I’d call or email the manufacturer.

Again, I’d have to read the pumps specs. or I’d call or email the manufacturer.
Not just pump specs but here's a lot to consider. It's easy to determine pump under normal application. This is a theoretically pointed question...where can I locate the pump. The inlet side of pumps is hose 2" and outlet is 1 1/2". So maybe better to pull water through 2' pipe than push water through 1 1/2" pipe?

Did you read the article I linked ?

It will explain what you need to know. I’m not going to type it all out when it’s already online for you to read.

Good luck to you.

Not just pump specs but here's a lot to consider. It's easy to determine pump under normal application. This is a theoretically pointed question...where can I locate the pump. The inlet side of pumps is hose 2" and outlet is 1 1/2". So maybe better to draw water through 2' pipe than push water through 1 1/2" pipe?

I think it would work fine having the pump 75 feet from the lake, many pumps are that far from a well. Keep the pump as low as possible to reduce suction lift, and run 2 inch suction pipe with a minimum of fittings, with a foot valve out at the end under the water. You will have to prime the pump and the entire suction line to get it to start up. We have 1 1/2 hp pump pumping from a lake, but the pump is 6 feet from the lake and only 4 feet above it, but I have about 50 feet of suction pipe, to get out in deeper water. We are able to run 10-12 heads at once, but maybe not as big as yours. good luck, and let us know how it works!

Latest posts

Back