Help with shower faucet (Streamway) repair (first post)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DB145

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here looking for help. Mother's shower had a constant drip so I replaced the hot and cold washers. Worked for only a few months and I knew the stems, seats and other parts weren't in great shape so I went a bought the whole rebuild kits (escutcheons, stems, seats, handles, diverter). First problem is I can't remove the old seats. The replacements are 8mm hex but the originals look to be square. I bought a seat wrench but these seats (I believe they are streamway 950-25) are like deep sockets and the tool looks way to wide to get to the back where it needs to trip to turn the seat.

Can anyone recommend a tool or method to remove it? A YouTube video (with many success stories in the comments) on removing stripped seats suggests hammering in a large flat head screwndriver or the seat wrenches but that does sound scary to me.

Second is how do I remove / install the diverter? I was told once I remove the threaded portion I need to just pull out the rest of it but it seemed pretty stuck in there. Id like to be sure before I put some muscle to it. The new one does look like a different design too, I'm not sure if it matters. Photos below.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

image.jpg image.jpg 9DB3F610-809B-4088-9A57-98A0D12418A6.jpegimage.jpg

If you are having that much trouble, I'd recommend cutting out a small square on the backside of the shower and replacing that old valve with a new and improved valve.

Latest posts

Back