Help with sharkbite install far enough?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenjabba

Reaction score
Hi, I am replacing connections to water heater with sharkbite connection kit. On the package it says Mark correct insert depth 1.13". I can't push these on more than half an inch on one, and the other about 3/4. Any idea what I should do? Are they that hard to push on? Thanks.

For copper pipe I believe you are supposed to remove the plastic sleeve (but you don't have to). You need to give it a good strong push to fully seat it. You can usually tell when it "slides home".

For copper pipe I believe you are supposed to remove the plastic sleeve (but you don't have to). You need to give it a good strong push to fully seat it. You can usually tell when it "slides home".
Thanks, I've got muscle coming over tomorrow. . Instructions didn't say anything about removing and there's no video. All the videos show it going on smooth as butter.. but I guess I need to start lifting! Thanks again!

I agree with Havasu. The only time I ever used a sharkbite was when I had to tie into plastic pipe. When these first came out
I called Sharkbite and they said to use the insert on the plastic only and not on the copper pipe. You could call them now and
see if that still stands.

Sharkbites are a temporary solution never a permanent one. Get rid of those things and make it right with solder

Sharkbites are a temporary solution never a permanent one. Get rid of those things and make it right with solder

I know some people do not like the Sharkbite fittings but they are marketed as a permanent solution. They are also code (I think everywhere) to be permanently sealed up in walls.

Just because a package says something does not mean it's right put them in walls at your own risk I have seen to many of them leak

I understand i have seen pex leak my point is save yourself some trouble and do it right

I agree if you are able to sweat pipes that is the way to go but for the average homeowner they cannot. Plumbers charge a lot too for a simple pipe replacement around here like the OP wants I can easily see that going over $1000.

Experienced plumbers ain't cheap and cheap plumbers ain't experienced

Realistically this sounds more like some plumbers are concerned that Sharkbite is taking some of their business. There was a need in the market that Sharkbite filled. Most people will still call a plumber for something like this. Many will get ripped off, some will not. Regardless, this is a valid option for the homeowner to use. It is a permanent solution in spite of you saying it is not. Sharkbite meets all codes for permanent use including sealed up in walls. I have used it many times myself (in addition to being able to sweat pipes) and have never had a single issue.

If you are having difficulty pushing the fitting on the pipe then either the pipe has some surface corrosion on it or it is is slightly out of round.
If there is corrosion, you can remove it but use steel wool or fine grit sandpaper (1,000 grit would be best).

Could be the pipes aren’t perfectly straight and it’s binding up half way into the fitting. If you can see that it’s angled at all use one arm to bend it straight and the other to jam it down. Don’t go too crazy with this tip- but you can yank and pull and bend copper quite a bit before you’re going to hurt it.

I don’t use those fittings that often but mostly because they’re really expensive. On situations where you have to work on pipes that never stop dripping when you’re trying to drain them out they’re a godsend.

It's harder to get a soldered connection than a Sharkbite connection. I get that it's "cool" to say that Sharkbites are "junk" and copper is "right", but copper connections fail as well. PEX and Sharkbite have some real benefits over copper sweat and anticlimatic mentioned one of them. And they are only more expensive when you don't take into account the cost of the soldering kit for a homeowner who only has a few joints to do. And who said anything about doing work behind walls in this thread?

And who said anything about doing work behind walls in this thread?

Realistically this sounds more like some plumbers are concerned that Sharkbite is taking some of their business. There was a need in the market that Sharkbite filled. Most people will still call a plumber for something like this. Many will get ripped off, some will not. Regardless, this is a valid option for the homeowner to use. It is a permanent solution in spite of you saying it is not. Sharkbite meets all codes for permanent use including sealed up in walls. I have used it many times myself (in addition to being able to sweat pipes) and have never had a single issue.

He did!

I am not a plumber, but myself and most of my neighbors have the equipment necessary to do the solder work. It only takes a few minutes of practice to learn the proper way to solder, and would be much cheaper than the sharkbite crap.

Latest posts

Back