Help with replacing ~90 year old floor drain/sink with new.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumbum1234

Reaction score
I have an older house with older plumbing. My washer discharges into a floor drain, and about every 4 months or so, it clogs. I would like to replace it with a new floor drain with bigger opening in the grate, but I am having trouble finding the right one. It looks like this one may fit:

https://www.dougdeals.com/new-zurn-...nless-steel-light-duty-sani-flor-receptor-4d/
Here's the album with all the pictures:

Is this the best route I should take even? Are there other options? Should I fix up the existing hole? How should I attach the new drain, or just set it in?

Last edited:
Twowaxhack, thanks for the reply.

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you are giving me two separate options.

First is to put in the Zurn drain, then add thin mixed concrete. Would you add the concrete just to fill in the gaps in the top, or also the cavity inside?

Second is to use the Fernco's Flexible Donut, which raises the drain pipe to about ground level. Then, plumb the drains directly into this newly raised hole. Would you then add thin mixed concrete around this donut so I have a somewhat smooth surface?

frodo, also thank you for the reply.

Are you saying to just cut a hole in the old grate/drain? And I removed the entire piece from the floor, but nothing else is removable. And forgive me as I'm not up-to-date on the terminology, but what do you mean by "concrete that hole like a dish"? Thanks!

Twowaxhack, thanks for the reply.

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you are giving me two separate options.

First is to put in the Zurn drain, then add thin mixed concrete. Would you add the concrete just to fill in the gaps in the top, or also the cavity inside?

Second is to use the Fernco's Flexible Donut, which raises the drain pipe to about ground level. Then, plumb the drains directly into this newly raised hole. Would you then add thin mixed concrete around this donut so I have a somewhat smooth surface?
The donut slips into your existing cast iron hub in the floor.
The zurn drain has a no hub spigot connection that will slip into the donut. The elevations look close.....you may not need anything else to connect. You have to test fit it.

Then test for leaks......

Then mix up some really wet cement and pour it beteeen the sink and the existing floor to fill the space

. I’d use anchoring cement, it mixes and pours like water then sets up in a few minutes.

Back