Help with removing faucet handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rba

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove this handle, but there's no visible screws anywhere. The red/blue thing on the front doesn't come off. Anyone know how to do this?
I tried draining my water heater recently, and afterwards, my kitchen faucet behaved as though there were a clog in it. I'm thinking maybe a piece of sediment from the tank got lodged somewhere around the top near the handle.

Any help appreciated. Thank you!photo 2.JPG

Did you check the back side of the handle? If not, CT18 is correct. It's behind that red and blue plug

Yeah, there's nothing behind the handle.

Maybe the plug is stuck from so many years of not being removed.... Maybe I'll try some pliers when I get back home.

Yeah, there's nothing behind the handle.

Maybe the plug is stuck from so many years of not being removed.... Maybe I'll try some pliers when I get back home.
I don't know that pliers is going to work. Try just plucking at it with a thin pocket knife.

The red/blue plug will definitely need to be removed. I do it with a utility knife blade under the edge, and try to score around it at least once. Then insert the blade and it usually pops off. Once it is removed, you will need to remove the Allen screw, which will allow the handle to be removed. Then you would unscrew the knurled globe and would have access to the cartridge. Looks to me like a Moen Chateau faucet. If so, Moen has a lifetime guarantee, and if you call them, they will send new parts to you for free, so it may be worth waiting, before taking it apart.

What is the problem you are having with it?

Sorry, I just went back and re-read your original post. If your problem is debris inside the faucet, have you tried removing the aerator, and then running hot and cold water for a few seconds? I like to start with the easy stuff first, and the aerator is the easiest. Just be sure your sink stopper is in, since, sometimes, a washer from the aerator will stay on the faucet, and when you turn on the water, it will shoot into the sink. You don't want that to go down the drain.

A pocket knife did the trick. Once I got the handle off, this was visible. I don't know what to do with this thing. There's the lower portion with the ridges around it. Does that come off? I've tried turning it, but it doesn't move.

photo.JPG

You go buy the Danco repair kit, and it comes with the wrench to turn out the nut.

that's a delta yes it comes off a with adjustable wrench....you can buy a complete rebuild kit use some food grade plumbers grease there will be 2 o rings that are under the faucet body there is a slot on the ball and right side of the inside the faucet there is a brass piece that the slot on the ball fits into I think the kits about 25 bucks

Be careful cranking on that nut. It will break easily. If it doesn't come off easy take the plastic piece off and squirt some
penetrating oil inside the nut. There are two small copper tubes that will break if handled to rough. Found this out
the hard way many years ago.

that chrome piece with the flat sides housing that plastic piece with the ball should come off easily its meant to come off for repairs we have hundreds of these faucets on campus they last for many years with simple repairs

If you just want to remove a clog, it will be in the valve assembly. Which is accessed by removing the white nut. You need this kit: https://www.amazon.com/Danco-88103-...le+repair+kit&qid=1552855675&s=gateway&sr=8-6

If you go to Home Desperate, Lowers, or any big box or hardware store they should have one.

Note the wrench included in the kit. It is used to turn the white plastic nut. That lets you get to the valve ball, and the faucet gaskets.

If you have leaks around the chrome parts ou will need to undo the chrome part to replace those gaskets. But, if you don’t have a leak, leave that part alone.

Latest posts

Back