Help with Outside Faucet Leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marti I

Reaction score
New to this forum and know little about plumbing. The handle on the faucet fell off. Can't just put on universal handle because there is no hole in the stem. So I bought a mandle and installed it. (Photo 3). To do that I had to remove the brass thing that screwed on to and covered the stem. (Photo 1). The mandle seemed to work (photo 2) but when I connected the hose water sprayed everywhere. Went to Ace bought Teflon tape and wrapped and rewrapped the connections and replaced washers till finally stopped those leaks. But now it is leaking around the stem where it comes out of the piece that the brass thing was screwed on to. Tried putting the brass piece back on and using the universal handle pieces (while holding them in place) to turn water on. Still leaked around the stem. Cleaned out the brass piece (photo 4)--very old washer and some black stringy stuff below the washer which was apparently what had been used to make the washer press tight against the piece the brass thing screwed on to.

Hopefully someone will know how I can fix this. I really need this hose for watering my plants.
Thanks,
Marti

Attachments

• No 1.jpg
    No 1.jpg
    858.9 KB · Views: 0
  • No 2.jpg
    No 2.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 0
  • No 3.jpg
    No 3.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 0
  • No 4.jpg
    No 4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The hose Bibb (sillcock) in place is called a loose key style. It is turned on by using a separate loose T shaped handle/key that matches the square head on the stem.
Things needed for bibb repair are universal for any old faucet: Plumbers silicone grease, maybe graphite packing string.
The Bibb can also be replaced but given your current knowledge, get help from a pro for that.

All the universal handles that I looked at are round and screwed into something. The stem on my faucet is solid. Where can I find this T-shaped handle?

Also where do I apply the silicon grease?

Why am I removing the stem? I thought I was supposed to repack the brass piece, screw it back on the place where it was, and then use the key (already ordered) to turn water on and off and hopefully the repacked brass piece will stop the leak. Please let me know if I have misunderstood what I need to do.

Grease improves longevity, makes it easier to turn (also grease the stem), and being plumbers, if we’re touching it we do a complete rehab.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back