Help with Delta Tub/Shower Handle leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sazwaz

Reaction score
Can someone help me get some part numbers or let me know if I should just get a new one? Not sure if it's the back seals or cartridge?
Delta single handle leaks when the water is on. The faucet does not leak when the handle is off. Home was built in 2000.

shower2.jpg shower1.jpg

Video of leak

Video 2

Last edited:
Listen go to any good hardware store. and buy a set of delta repair faucet set that includes all the o rings, seat cups, special tool for delta and lub. Then shut off the water undo large nut, the undo plastic washer. and replace all the parts i mention , then reassemble. I bet that delta even has a video .

Most of the repair kits come in clear packaging.
Take your valve guts apart, lay them neatly out, take some good pics, and buy a kit that has those same parts.
Or just buy two or three kits if the parts inside look different.
Sometimes the springs are longer or stubbier.
Usually there are some big o rings you won’t need.
Bring back any unopened kits.
Better having more parts than being short on something you need, and having to make more trips.
Time is money. Or aggravation.
While the house water is off.
Look for kits with a stainless ball, not brass or plastic.
And clean out the empty valve body with vinegar and paper towels, then rinse with water.
And goop up the rubber boots inside and out with thin coat of silicone valve grease, and put some in the holes that receive the boots and springs, to hold them in there during assembly.
And COVER THE DRAIN!

Look at a RP3614 repair kit. Be real careful taking that large nut off. If it's tight put some penetrating oil
on it.

Thanks for the repair kit # and suggestion on the nut. I've read some stuff about twisting up the plumbing behind it by forcing it. My guess was this is a 600 series faucet:
Renovation Kit - 600 Series Tub & Shower RP54870 | Delta Faucet
(amazon has it for $60) but I didn't need everything.

I contacted Delta customer service but they need me to resend the photos. Will confirm once I get it fixed.

Delta CSR Frank verified I have a 600 series shower and RP3614 kit should fix it. He wasn't nice enough to send the parts for free like I've read on amazon. So I bought the kit and received RP3614A. I could hand loosen the large nut so that wasn't an issue nor was replacing the parts. But when I turned the water back on it leaked just the same. I ended up swapping parts plus the ball from another shower and after about 50 trips up and down the stairs I gave up and started getting ready to post here and write Delta back (hours wait on phone and days for email). The parts from the leaky faucet were fine on the other shower but its parts didn't help. I came across a Q/A on Delta's site that said the new gray cam does not work with the old white adjusting nut and to remove it. I noticed where the white nut was originally wouldn't let the large nut tighten very far and would get a leak out the front if tight but out the back if loose.

So I took the white nut off, soaked/brass wire brushed the large nut/pipe threads with vinegar, and put teflon tape on the pipe threads. No leak. The handle is a bit wobblier but stay put ok. Not sure why it needed the teflon tape or leaked at all but maybe something was machined weird originally. Hopefully that'll do it. Thanks for the help!

Short video

Last edited:
I don’t like the grey cam. I prefer the original cam with adjustment ring.

Delta makes a spanner wrench for this adjustment and it’s included in some of their repair kits.

Here’s the kit I would use.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-R...l_KJ9IXnJeEQp8ZY9t4aAt92EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You do not need the o rings, those are for two different era kitchen sink faucets. You don’t need those.

You would need to reinstall the adjustment cam ring into your cap assembly.. This ring doesn’t come in a kit, it’s sold separately.

Silicone grease is good to lubricate the rubber cam with

After its all back together snug the adjustment cam down.

Turn the water back on and open the faucetand make the stainless peg stick straight out and snug the adjustment ring down once more, but don’t over do it.

Reinstall the handle.

That adjustment rings applies pressure to the entire assembly inside the faucet. If it’s not adjusted properly the faucet could leak out of the spout and or under the handle around the stem.

Delta needs to leave things alone. It worked just fine with the original design. They developed the new part to save on assembly cost at the factory, it’s not superior design.

trust me.

Back