Help with ball valve handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelbob

Reaction score
The handle no longer fits (rectangular hole worn too big) on the main ball valve for my sprinkler system. I am not good at sizes, but it looks to me like the valve is maybe 1” coming in and 1 1/2” out? By any chance do all 1 1/2” valves have the same rectangular stem that the handle fits over? :rolleyes: If not, any idea what brand this is? the handle says 600 wog MATCO 754DT, but google searches don’t find it. The opening in the handle looks to be about 3/8 x 1/4”.

Can I just use a vice grip or will I run the risk of screwing up the stem....don’t want to have replace valve because of the handle!

I tried to add photos but I chose site album which I guess was wrong?

You simply click on the "upload a file" on the bottom right, then choose the pic from your computer, click on it, upload, then click on the full view image, and post the thread.

Re: your issue, yes, you could use a vice grip but why not pull your handle, go pick up a new ball valve, and replace just the handle?

You simply click on the "upload a file" on the bottom right, then choose the pic from your computer, click on it, upload, then click on the full view image, and post the thread.

Re: your issue, yes, you could use a vice grip but why not pull your handle, go pick up a new ball valve, and replace just the handle?

Yeah, that may be a way, though I may need to take a few back in order to find one that fits, unless they are pretty standard in terms of the size of the stem? Good to know vice grip will work as it only gets turned twice a year and there is plenty of room around in the irrigation box. Thanks!

Back