Help with a "builder" basement shower drain rough in

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, happy holidays. I am finishing the basement and the home came with a "builder" rough in for a bathroom down there. I've completed the toilet, vanity and shower water supply lines. Looking at where the shower drain is, its off center. I'm not sure what to do with it or what I am really looking at. I plan on using a Schluter system for the shower but I am confused on what to do with the drain. I have attached some pictures for reference. You will see the shower drain. I believe this is tied in directly below to the waste line running below it to the septic tank. What do I do with this? Thanks. I appreciate any help and feedback.

Attachments

• 20201224_153022.jpg
    20201224_153022.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 20201224_153043.jpg
    20201224_153043.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20201224_153050.jpg
    20201224_153050.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
This is what I would do
first, I would remove the plastic rough box, dig the dirt out of the hole down to the Ptrap. Verify it is a p trap

Next, Go get your shower base,
measure the base from the back edge to center of drain and the side edge to center of drain

transfer those measurements the the floor of the shower stall floor
bust the concrete so the trap can be moved to that location

then post back for more directions

Attachments

• showermm.jpg
    showermm.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 6
Thanks. I dug out the rough in and it doesnt look like there is a p-trap there, unless its further down. I went down 12" from the floor and its still straight pipe.

Should I be looking for a centered drain or off center? Maybe less work to do the off center since the drain is pretty close? Here are the two I was looking at. If there is something better to use, I all for it. Thanks again.

https://www.amazon.com/Schluter-Kerdi-Shower-Kit-Offset-Flange/dp/B07PPPMHYH - off center

https://www.amazon.com/Schluter-Kerdi-Shower-Kit-x60-Flange/dp/B07PQT2THF - centered

Attachments

• 20201227_093222.jpg
    20201227_093222.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20201227_093301.jpg
    20201227_093301.jpg
    995.7 KB · Views: 9
cut the cap off, shove your tape in the pipe till it hits something. and look at the numbers on the tape
that will tell you how deep the horizontal turns to vertical,

if you hit a elbow, the tape will go around the bend easily
if you hit a p trap, the tape will will argue with you and give resistance

Should I be looking for a centered drain or off center?

Maybe less work to do the off center since the drain is pretty close?
You are looking for a ptrap or a elbow

Forget about ''less work''

You have to find out if it is an elbow or a trap.

if it is a trap you CAN offset it using 45 degree bends ONLY
If it is a elbow you have to dig up the elbow and cut it off, then install a ptrap

Thanks guys. Looks like there is a trap there. I was also able to catch up with the plumber who roughed it in and he said there is a bath trap there.

Do i get the offset kit then?

Thanks guys. Looks like there is a trap there. I was also able to catch up with the plumber who roughed it in and he said there is a bath trap there.

Do i get the offset kit then?
You can, they make them. Or you can bust up the floor and move the plumbing.

Latest posts

Back