HELP! Water intake on dishwasher

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djshayneguy

Reaction score
I'm replacing an old dishwasher with a new whirlpool dishwasher. There is an old water inlet attached to the pipe coming out of the floor. There is also a water inlet valve attached to the new dishwasher. Can I use both of them at the same time? How do I wire them both together? Am I better off using just the one that is attached to the new dishwasher? If so how do I remove the one coming out of the floor? Thanks

Attachments

• EemBRa1.jpg
    EemBRa1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
  • STBlTxe.jpg
    STBlTxe.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
You are not “wiring” anything together.
Maybe this is just not your thing?

The water supply for a dishwasher is normally from a shutoff valve in a nearby cabinet.
Yours seems to come through the floor.

You need to show pics of the back side of that old connection, to show what the end fitting of that copper line looks like.

The new dishwasher appears to have a flexible supply hose already attached to it.
The other end is unattached, and most often it is a 3/8 threaded compression nut.

You need to get that nut to adapt and attach to the copper line, and that old blue plastic part is likely just unneeded junk now.

BTW, there is usually a right angle adapter that is needed, to attach to the hose threaded water inlet.

I'm a little confused by your pictures, but it looks like what's coming out of the floor is just junk off your old dishwasher. You likely don't want any of that at this point. The connection at the floor looks a right mess, too.

What's going on underneath your floor there? Does that line go down into your floor joists (ideally with a shut off valve in the vicinity)? Does it come back up into your sink cabinet? If there's room to work on the pipe down there, or under the sink, cut it off with a pipe cutter, leaving enough room to work, and fit either an adapter, or a new angle stop that you can thread the water supply onto (just need a couple inches of pipe ahead of any fittings to get the new fitting on).

Also, what do you have threaded onto the inlet in that picture? Looks like it's just a hose. What's at the other end of it? You'll need a 3/8" connection to get on the adapter (3/8" x 1/2" compression fitting) or angle stop. And Jeff's right to mention the elbow adapter that's needed. A hose coming straight out will just kink on the floor. There's not enough clearance down there. It's a 3/4" x 3/8" elbow that's sold with many braided supplies, or on their own.

More pics if you're still working on it, or let us know how it went.

Back