HELP! Tub faucet leak...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otahyoni

Reaction score
After seeing a HUGE jump in our water bill (triple) in one month, it seems we have a leak. The only thing i can find leaking anywhere in the house is a steady drip from the tub faucet. Surely not the amount the bill is, but a leak nonetheless. Problem is, I can't find any identifying marks on the faucet. I'll attach some pictures to see if you guys can help.

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

Please excuse our nasty tub...

I don't care if i rebuild or replace the whole thing, but i've got to stop this leak... HELP!

I would try an antique store? Seriously, If you remove the outer nuts, your stem should pull out. At the end of the stem, you will probably find a worn out washer that can be matched up easily at a "big box" hardware store.

Actually, that faucet doesn't look super old. First, the lettering isn't worn off of the handle.:D Second, the spout is elevated above the rim of the tub as a backflow prevention measure, which is a (relatively) new thing.

At any rate, I bet havasu has the best answer.

You're lucky that we still talk to you after you deserted us as you did.

Cheers, and hope you find the fix real soon.

I'm going with Gerber.

It likely just needs beveled washers changed out.

I bet Majakdragon knows for sure.

I see the "hot" and "shower" lettering, but the cold water is void of any lettering. Does that mean he is taking lots of cold baths? :p

Sorry Phish, it wasn't entirely my fault... The guy i was jacking internet from moved... :D

Havasu, You were right, a couple new (flat) washers sealed it right up. And the "cold" isn't worn off, it's on the other side of the handle. I need to turn it around.

I'm glad you got it fixed. I wish I would heed my own advice, because I have a "pot filler" over my stove that has been leaking, and mama has been complaining about it for two weeks. I just don't want to tear it apart, or shut down the water for an hour while I go shopping for a stupid flat washer! Note to self...always install a dedicated shut off valve when adding these stupid faucets!

Don't feel to bad my kitchen sink has been leaking for two years now and I keep telling myself I will fix it when i put in the new counter tops and sink but who knows when that will be. Also my water has tripled as well but that is because I live in the desert and am trying to keep my plants and lawns alive.

When one farms in the river bottoms...yea, too much rain is bad...

Thing is, it was rain north of us that caused the problem, not rain here.

Back