Help!!! Toilet stop valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drharney

Reaction score
Attempting to replace my toilets stop valve.

I took the old one off (which appears to be threaded). I purchased a compression 1/2 inlet to replace.

Problem is, when I tried to put the new one on it was too small. Nither the nut or the brass ring would fit over the pipe. I took and angle grinder and cut off the threads thinking that was the issue but they still won't fit.

I don't see any shutoff valves with inlets larger than 1/2 being sold... so I'm superrrrr confused. Please help.

Looks like you cut the threads off the brass nipple, you need to spin it out of the wall and get a new one. You can’t use a compression angle stop, you need 1/2” IPx3/8”

First of all, where is Cr?

Your pipe sizes might not match north American measurements at all.

Things could get interesting if that nipple won’t come out. It probably will....

Try to apply torque (measure of rotational forces )but not let the pipe get pressure applied from any other direction.

Good luck 👍

Why did you buy a compression shutoff for a threaded nipple, just wondering?
Not blaming you.

If the nipple does not easily unscrew, try blowing medium hair dryer heat inside the nipple for a few minutes, maybe five or ten mins.
It should soften up the pipe dope on the threads.
If that is the problem.

If you use high, stay farther away, no need to start a fire.

Put the pipe wrench on close to the wall, so you are rotating, not pushing sideways, as twowaxhack wisely advised.

True. Many use a VPN, but the OP has 3 posts, all from that vicinity. I am only trying to help with the tools I have.
I guess I was just pointing out the obvious, so no probs, haha.
Thanks!
PS I am actually at the North Pole.
Talk about frozen pipes, whew!

Why did you buy a compression shutoff for a threaded nipple, just wondering?

HEY ALL - Thank you for the information!!! Yes, I'm from Connecticut.

I didn't realize it was brass piping - to be honest I didnt realize brass piping was a thing anymore. Seemed that all the information online and at the stores was for copper or pvex and surrounded compression and push fitting valves. We purchased an older house and Im currently in a crash course on how to do most of this stuff.

Question: 1/2” IPx3/8” valve. Is this what I need? When I look up threaded 1/2 in inlets, most of the valves that come up are "FIP". Is that correct?

https://www.amazon.com/Eastman-1080...s=threaded+toilet+valve&qid=1614260335&sr=8-8

HEY ALL - Thank you for the information!!! Yes, I'm from Connecticut.

I didn't realize it was brass piping - to be honest I didnt realize brass piping was a thing anymore. Seemed that all the information online and at the stores was for copper or pvex and surrounded compression and push fitting valves. We purchased an older house and Im currently in a crash course on how to do most of this stuff.

Question: 1/2” IPx3/8” valve. Is this what I need? When I look up threaded 1/2 in inlets, most of the valves that come up are "FIP". Is that correct?

https://www.amazon.com/Eastman-1080...s=threaded+toilet+valve&qid=1614260335&sr=8-8
Yes that’s what you need. And you need another brass nipple or a chromed brass nipple. Your choice.

Edit : that’s not what you need. You need 3/8” ips x 3/8”ODcompression. ......I guess, I never saw the old valve.

Last edited:
Then the angle stop valve in her Amazon link is the wrong size, the link is to 1/2 inch fip inlet.

Maybe I’m reading it wrong?

Whooo...
Twowaxhack is correct in that they need a new nipple to replace the one they cut off. OR..rethread the existing pipe which might be easier considering how much corrosion I see inside the wall on the pipe. That's a brass 1/2" NPT nipple and the link Drharney sent should work just fine.
I now realize that this had to be resolved a long time ago. HMMMM.

I think it is a 3/8 inch nipple (unless the OP has gorilla hands 😬), but the OP could always unscrew it and take it to the big box or hardware store to match it up, for diameter and also for length.
And then get the correct female pipe thread size of angle stop at the same time.
Or just hire a pro, because I agree that nipple looks corroded.
Look at the threads that were cut off, they are almost gone.

Latest posts

Back