Help to fix a leaking bathtub tap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris38

Reaction score
Hi all,
I need some help to fix a leaking bathtub faucet. I've removed the side screw from the tap handle (I believe it's an old delta H22 model) but the handle won't come off.
I tried to pull it out gently and then with a little bit more force but it still won't come off. Should I put in even more force or is there something else that I need to remove first?
Below is an image of the tap handle.
Thank you so much.

1627000615100.png 1627000662696.png

It comes straight up and off. You could spray some wd-40 in the set screw hole but it really can’t get to the problem.

Don’t damage the handle. If needed the stem will break off inside the handle. Then you can use a screw to remove the broken piece and save the handle.

Of course it would be good for you to get the parts together before you start so there’s no down time.

So yes, you just need to get rough with it.

If you have questions just

Rocking the handle back and forth might break the corrosion bond.
You can also buy a short piece of very thin plastic or rubber tubing, tape that on the straw for a can of penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster as a flexible extension.
Or maybe get lucky just bending the straw tip enough where it can spray up and in on that handle from underneath by the gap.

If you break the stem, just shut off the supply valve for that side (cold?), then at least you will still be able to get some wawa as needed.

Rocking the handle is good instruction.

I wouldn’t attempt repair until the water was off and I had all the replacement parts in front of me.

Thats a H62 handle base if that’s a Roman tub faucet. Large base

H22 is for a sink, bar, lavatory or a wall mounted bathtub faucet. Small base

It comes straight up and off. You could spray some wd-40 in the set screw hole but it really can’t get to the problem.

Don’t damage the handle. If needed the stem will break off inside the handle. Then you can use a screw to remove the broken piece and save the handle.

Of course it would be good for you to get the parts together before you start so there’s no down time.

So yes, you just need to get rough with it.

If you have questions just
Thanks so much! I was thinking of getting the broken part out first and taking that to the parts shop to get the exact part. I'm not sure which part needs to be replaced yet, so I haven't bought any part yet

I’ll post the part number for you in a couple hours. I just pulled up to a job.

Twowaxhack Thanks again for your earlier help. I got the replacement part yesterday and it fits perfectly. I replaced the part and put everything back correctly but the tap is still leaking - the flow seems to be more now actually. I checked again and made sure all the bolts are tight.
Any idea if there is another part that I need to change or if there is something else could be causing the leak?
Thanks!

the large end of the spring goes into the valve first, then the rubber seat sits down over it. The stem goes in and then the nut is tightened snug.

Watch a couple videos on Delta Roman tub valve repair and make sure you’re installing it correctly. Make sure no debris is lodged in the valve.

Take some pics with it apart and as you assemble it.

You replaced all the parts I linked above ? Spring, rubber seat, stem ?

Hi, yes I followed the instructions I found on the videos to the letter and made sure everything was cleaned up and assembled as required.
I've added some pics below of the replaced part.

Large end of the spring went in first, then I put the rubber seat into the top of the spring followed by the stem
1628040109996.png 1628040191790.png

After removing the old stem, rubber seat and spring, I noticed that a little bit of water kept coming through the cold water hole from time to time (even though my main water switch is off) - is that normal? There is no such observation on the hot water hole. I can confirm that there is no water flowing in any other taps after switching off the main.

1628040388004.png 1628040481972.png

Given that the water coming from the leak is cold, I assumed the defect was on the cold tap side and I only replaced this part. Should I also replace the hot part on the hot water side?
Thanks again for your help and suggestions!

Yeah, do both sides. A drip on the hot side can be cold. By the time it gets to the tub it’s cold.

Repair both sides.

Water leaking from the empty valve is normal.
There is water stored in the pipes in your house.

Yes, also change the hot side parts.

Also, sometimes when you operate the main water shutoff, or the valves under a sink, debris or minerals can break loose and foul up the seal of the rubber boots.

Back