Help! Stupid question. Half inch Galvanized Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John T

Reaction score
Was just doing some work under my house and I accidentally started to loosen a galvanized pipe . Only about a quarter turn.

Then I re-tightened it.

Its a long stretch of pipe and I cant see the other connecting end. Can I expect this to leak now?

Not an expert, but I do work with threaded black pipe from time to time. If there was no union fitting on that pipe, your "loosening" actually loosened one end and tightened the other. The same would apply when you "re-tightened" it. The only way to know whether it will leak or not is via observation.

Not an expert, but I do work with threaded black pipe from time to time. If there was no union fitting on that pipe, your "loosening" actually loosened one end and tightened the other. The same would apply when you "re-tightened" it. The only way to know whether it will leak or not is via observation.

Yes. I plan to button it up today and test it.
Problem being it looks like the connection on the far end is on the other side of house. As is I cannot see it. But I will make another attempt.

Thanks for your response.

Are you sure it's a water line and not an electrical conduit?

Yes. Positive. It’s already been cut and all the old pipe to bathroom fixtures removed.

This line is the hot water line that runs to the kitchen and laundry.

Latest posts

Back