HELP! Stuck Shower Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pike77

Reaction score
This is the hot water shower valve that is leaking. I believe it to be a price pfister. It is a 3 handle shower setup. I have the shower socket set and none of them fit perfectly but even with the one that does fit the best, I can't budge it at all. Has anyone had experience with this setup and have any ideas? Also, do you know if the standard price pfister shower valve stem replacement will work? I am trying to remove it by using the socket on the area just behind the shower wall, that appears to be the only place that can accommodate a socket. Any suggestions or advice appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• F5CAC212-6F48-4D5C-BF00-D72AFD56EF64.jpeg
    F5CAC212-6F48-4D5C-BF00-D72AFD56EF64.jpeg
    815.6 KB · Views: 7
Is the leak just from that packing nut only or is it not shutting off
It is not shutting off. Even turned tight it still leaks and is leaking pretty significantly. Not iust an occasional drip it's a pretty consistent small stream.

Those old Price Pfister valves use a washer at the end of the valve. Rather straight forward repair. The nut you see first is the "packing nut" used to seal the water from leaking around the stem. You would need a socket wrench to remove the valve.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armour-...ket-Set-5-Piece-with-Handle-RP77310/306699502This is a universal set from Home Depot. You may be able to get one just for your valve from a plumbing wholesaler.
Remove the valve and replace the washer. Those also have replaceable "seats", the part that the washer seals against. If it's pitted or chipped that will have to be replaced. The parts are easy to find at HD as well. But you will need a "seat wrench", also at HD.
It's an easy fix for anybody with any DIY skills.

Latest posts

Back