Help! Shower drain doesn't line up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefightinb

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and am looking for advice. I pulled up the cover over my shower drain to get out some hair and I noticed that the dern drain hole is not even connected to the drain pipe! There is about a 4" gap between the two and it is about 3-4" off center. I got a flashlight to look better and what is below the shower pan is rocky ground. The drain pipe goes down into the ground. Am I supposed to be able to see the trap or is it below ground? I can't believe this passed inspection. Is there a way to fix this without taking out the shower insert?

I'm assuming you are on a one story with a concrete slab? Are you able to access under the shower?

In any case, you may be headed for some headaches. BTW, the trap should be down in the gravel about 10"-12". I would recommend taking some pictures and posting them up in order to provide you a game plan.

That is just incredible. I hate to tell you but this looks like a complete tear out. There are ways to add a 45 elbow in order to align the pipe, and there are compression fittings in order to secure the drain pipe to the shower base, but IIRC they all need a nut at the bottom side of the base in order to secure the top side.

Does any experts here have any other ideas?

There is a shower strainer that can be install from the top side of the shower. The problem you have is getting fittings on the existing pipe to line it up with the shower drain. That would require you being able to cut the pipe down closer to the ground. If you could some how be able to do that you could use two 45's to line it up with the drain opening. If your not able to cut the pipe I'm afraid your looking at removing the shower. Here is a link to the strainer you could use.

http://www.wingtite.com/print-instructions/

John

I have seen that shower drain your talking about. I have been thinking about tearing out my shower anyway and put in a tiled shower. I have never done this before and would like some advice or a good website I could go to. Also, if I tear out my shower should I also check under the rock and make sure there is a trap installed?

I have just discovered the same problem, my builder never connected the drain line and my photos are almost identical to your pictures. My builder was Ryland homes, any chance that you have the same builder?

I know this is an old page, but I'm sure the problem is still occurring!!! I'm in Australia and have encountered this problem countless times! There's a company here called Wydaflo that sells shower trays which completely prevents this. Very easy to fit, especially where misalignment is a problem. Look them up, they may post internationally - wouldn't hurt to give them a try.

DanL is correct. Our company WYDAFLO puts the problem of misaligned drainage to rest once and for all! You can find an installation video on our website www.wydaflo.com as well as examples of our revolutionary shower trays. I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
WYDAFLO

if the drain is on the sink side you may be able to access it by removing the sink if its a hall or closet you may be able to access it from there

my friends waste and over flow broke off under the floor right at the (bell)trap dontask where the name came from but i did replace the tub
i was able to get an 1 1/2 no hub 4 band coupling on the brass part of the trap and connect to the waste and overflow that way used a desanco

fitting to except the waste and overflow.....wasn't easy very tight for room but do able we used a 3 piece tub made by sterling very heavy duty

Last edited:
DanL is correct. Our company WYDAFLO puts the problem of misaligned drainage to rest once and for all! You can find an installation video on our website www.wydaflo.com as well as examples of our revolutionary shower trays. I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
WYDAFLO

I watched your video out of curiosity. Was wondering what the blank cover is for on top of the drain, the last piece that she put on.

I watched your video out of curiosity. Was wondering what the blank cover is for on top of the drain, the last piece that she put on.

Hi, the clear pan is screwed to the pipe adapter that Sophie already glued to the drain pipe. It is transparent pvc so that she can see where to connect the screws. The glued adapter gives the clear pan the necessary fall in it for the water to drain into the pipe. Lastly, she places the standing insert on top. I've had one for 2 years now and have swapped the insert to a stainless steel one for a nicer look. Cheers, Pete.

Latest posts

Back