Help removing a thermostatic cartridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoe

Reaction score
Hi,

My two-head shower's thermostatic valve hasn't been giving hot enough water recently. I'm guessing the cartridge needs to be cleaned or replaced, but I can't tell what brand it is, and I'm not really sure how to remove the cartridge.

I can remove the C-ring (ceramic?) retainer clip, but after that, do I need to find a socket (seems to be about 15/16ths) or do I turn the screw that is deep inside the center shaft of the cartridge?

Any advice or pointers to instructions or manufacturer diagrams are greatly appreciated. thanks.

pic when assembled

pic when handle removed

I have never seen this valve before, so I don't speak from experience. But after looking at the second picture, my first idea is to use a socket to turn the cartridge, and see if that disengages it from what looks to be locking lugs on the body of the valve.

I'd have to agree with phish here, but I too have never seen a unit quite like that one before. I don't suppose you know what make it is?

I have some more information. I believe the valve is a Grohe Grohmix. I have removed the thermoelement cartridge, and it seems to be in horrible shape. Here are two more pictures:

1. thermoelement #1
2. thermoelement #2

I'm still looking for instructions, identification, and replacement info.

Hrm, not a grohe stem that I am familiar with.

You could try poking around STEM   IDENTIFICATION   INDEX to see if you can find something similar so you can replace it.

In the meantime i would try cleaning it up (and clean out the opening you took it from). to see if it helps any.

Back