Help please. Issue with basement sink pumps.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact of the matter is that the pump, along with the 2" piping are erroneously oversized for the application. Obviously!
Granted it should not have been piped to the drain of another sink. A simple fix for someone else's mistake.

The codes do not cover every scenario and application, as many should know.

A centrifugal pump actually requires less HP as you climb higher up the performance curve at higher heads with less flows.

You can speculate all you want but when and if that pump goes, and they all do eventually, it can be replaced with a small grey water sump pump, which are becoming more common for use with laundry sinks in basements and the like.

In the meantime, if he puts aside a dollar a day for a year or so, he still wouldn't have enough to have a plumber come in and do it right.

Give the guy a break. He was looking for a quick fix and has it.
If you think it's worth doing it right, go do it for him.

EDIT: It's also against code in most states, to do plumbing work without a license. But that subject never seems to get mentioned as far as not meeting code.:confused:

Last edited:
The requirements for licensed plumbers is by the states.
https://www.next-insurance.com/blog/plumber-licensing-requirements/

EDIT: Don't be confused with the somewhat common,"A permit is not required for minor repairs such as fixing a leaky faucet, valve or other working part of a plumbing fixture, or for clearing a blocked drain."

Whereas "Permits for performing plumbing work are issued only to licensed plumbers."

Last edited:
Did you bother to read the code I posted?
A HOME OWNER
DOES NOT have to have a plumber license to completely plumb his whole house
He can NOT hire someone else that is not licensed to do the work. but he can do everything himself

scroll up and read the code, the key words are underlined
'' any owner''
''makes an application''
''application for a permit shall be made by the person or agent
to install all or part of any plumbing system ''

Lemmie break it down for everybody,
any owner, must make an application
The person making the application IS THE PERSON WHO DOES THE WORK
the code did not say. only a licensed plumber, it CLEARLY stated the home owner. Not the tenant, not the brother inlaw,not your girl friend or her mother

That is from the 2018 international plumbing code

exxzempt_code.png

Last edited:
You're reading too much into it.
Any owner, etc. ............................shall first make application to code official, etc.
It doesn't say any owner is allowed to do plumbing work.
I think you missed, or didn't understand the part in the next paragraph about "shall meet all qualifications established by statute,etc".
Statute as by state laws.
Plumbing codes cannot and do not over ride state laws. And it's not saying what you think it does.

I guess it's a matter of interpretation. Ask your local plumbing Inspector. Assuming your state is one of the Forty-four states that require plumbers to be licensed at the state level.

EDIT: Sorry frodo...that's MY interpretation of what I read. If I'm wrong, you haven't shown me anything of any value yet to change my mind. And I do keep an open one.

Clipboard01.jpg H]

Last edited:
Back