Help please! How to remove mystery faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most of the bathroom faucets that were installed in the house that we bought a few years back look like they're from the same brand. They look like Mico Belle 1600 models, and I talked to the guy who runs Mico, who said that they're probably from the same Spanish supplier. The one difference between the faucets I have is that the ones in my master bathroom have three main parts (handle, middle and base), while the rest of them have two main parts (handle and middle are one piece + the base). In the master bathroom, I was able to unscrew the handle to access the screw. For the other ones, I have no idea how to get the handle off. There's no cap that comes off or set screw. I tried unscrewing the nut underneath the counter, but it didn't help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-11-19 at 8.26.24 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-11-19 at 8.26.24 PM.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 17
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-11-19 at 8.20.07 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-11-19 at 8.20.07 PM.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 20
On the top of the handle should have a press on cap. Pull cap off with a fingernail of flathead screwdriver. Inside you should see a Phillips screwdriver head. Unscrew and take handle off. Then the fluted escutcheon should unscrew off, making the bottom stuff drop out the base.

@havasu Thanks so much for your help, but I've tried to pull off that "cap" with everything from a screwdriver to a razor blade/utility knife. Feels like a solid piece. Can't get "underneath" it at all.

I was afraid of that. Sometimes those handles will twist off (unscrew), others will press on, others have a small set screw. Your best bet is to search Google for the original installation instructions, then work backwards. Or wait until another plumber gives you better information?

@havasu I've tried Googling for hours and the Mico Belle 1600 was the closest I could find. It's crazy that I have two nearly identical models in my house. Thank you for trying!

By the way...are you replacing the faucet all together? If so, a Sawzall is your best friend!

Some faucet brands come off by unthreading the bell escutcheon exposing that nut you see under
It , did you ask the guy at micro
How this particular model trim comes off??

I asked him but in looking at the pictures online, it looks like his Mico model has a set screw. I can't figure out how to unthread the bell. Going up, hits up against the handle and going down just brings it toward the counter. I feel like there must be a screw securing part of the handle to the cartridge, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get any pieces off!

It's possible that the handle is just stuck, have you tried threading off that small price below the handle???? Your sure there are no set screws or phillip head in the handle, tighten down the escutcheon and tap up from the underside of the handle or wiggle
It up and down

Does the escutcheon screw down on those visible threads? What do you see between the handle and escutcheon? Are they attached to each other? If they are then the handle has to slide up off the stem. If you can't get it off then call "Mr Sawsall" and start anew.

Is that a nut under the loosened escutcheon in the top view? What does it do?

Back