Help needed with Basement layout and vents

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamedmem

Reaction score
Hi I am putting in a new bathroom in my basement. I would appreciate comments and advice about my layout and venting. thanksbasement plumbing1.jpg

Attachments

• basement plumbing2.jpg
    basement plumbing2.jpg
    759.7 KB · Views: 12
Well first things first shielded bands cannot be buried underground.... in concrete or anything

You could have just ran all PVC if you need to use cast-iron you're going to need to use Hub cast extra heavy with rubber gaskets

look at this seems shielded couplings are the best for underground!

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SHIELDED AND UNSHIELDED COUPLING

The shielded coupling is manufactured with a gasket, high-torque clamps, shear ring and coupling. What makes a shielded coupling unique is that it is encased in a metal structure (shear ring) allowing it to be protected from the ground’s surrounding pressures. Shielded couplings are typically used for underground applications, but can be used above-ground where the user sees fit. Many shielded couplings are engineered to conform to performance codes for the user to easily understand the functionality and strength of the product. For example, Source One Environmental’s SilverBack XLconforms to CSA B602, ASTM D 5926 and ASTM C 1173.

Unshielded couplings are made of similar material and composition as a shielded coupling, but do not include shear rings or high-torque clamps. While they do create a leak-proof seal, unshielded couplings are not recommended to be used in underground applications where shear forces and heavy earth loads are common.

CAN YOU AFFORD NOT TO USE A SHIELDED COUPLING?

With infrastructure, no company or contractor wants to dig up a repair or newly established lead to the mainline. Improved is the reason the industry feels confident in the shielded coupling. With increased strength of the stainless steel shield and high-torque clamps, shielded couplings ensure a tighter fit to withstand any shifting, shrinking or swelling that may occur.

When installing shielded couplings, the industry can feel assured that the connection only needs to be made once, bringing a great return-on-investment with time and labor. With that, the industry cannot afford to use anything but a shielded coupling for underground applications.

Where I'm located they cannot be used Underground PVC extra heavy cast with gaskets is allowed clamps are not

Last edited:
Thank you
are you sure that that sink vent will cover the toilet even if it branches off?

I dont know where the sink is going to be, but i think you wont have any problem. It looks like a good vent to me... Personally, what ct18 said, we like the wet vent on the wye going to the wc. The rest of the job looks great.

Back