Help needed in replacing an outdated backyard tap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patel123

Reaction score
I need some help from the pros. Attached is the picture of the tap in my backyard. The tap came with the house when we bought it and is hard to open and leaks. I am unable to detach the hose. I believe the pipe that goes below goes to sprinklers.

I want to replace the entire setup with two modern taps in addition to the pipe that goes to the sprinklers. I see the pipe coming out of the wall is too small/narrow. Can this whole setup be replaced with something conventional? I do not know whom to contact and how to explain this work to be done to a plumber or a handyman. I do not think it can be done by a layman like me. So please help me out with this.

Thanks for your help

IMG_8210 2.jpg IMG_8211.JPG

That hose bibb (HB) is soldered on.
It can be taken apart and lubed and washer replaced (often, but not always successful).
Alternatively, it can be de-soldered and anything put in place. I recommend a threaded fitting first (it would be called a 1/2" copper x male thread), then if you want a double, it can be a 1/2" brass tee plus two HB or a "Y" attachment that splits after the HB.
Any plumber can do it. Handyperson is potentially a high risk.
Find a good plumber on Nextdoor based on local recommendations perhaps.

My next question would be we're is the backflow device for the sprinkler system
And really the only spikot connection should only be for end of season blow out
Unless you have a well specifically for irrigation

Last edited:
My next question would be we're is the backflow device for the sprinkler system
And really the only spikot connection should only be for end of season blow out
Unless you have a well specifically for irrigation
Good point. I do not know. It came with the house when I bought it. I'll check with the plumber. The sprinkler system works.

That hose bibb (HB) is soldered on.
It can be taken apart and lubed and washer replaced (often, but not always successful).
Alternatively, it can be de-soldered and anything put in place. I recommend a threaded fitting first (it would be called a 1/2" copper x male thread), then if you want a double, it can be a 1/2" brass tee plus two HB or a "Y" attachment that splits after the HB.
Any plumber can do it. Handyperson is potentially a high risk.
Find a good plumber on Nextdoor based on local recommendations perhaps.
Thanks for your help. I used your response to get quotes from plumbers. I live in the San Francisco bay area and I know the rates here are high, but was shocked to get this response:
"Good morning! I charge 200 per hour with a one hour minimum plus parts. This job would take an hour and about 75 in parts. If you just wanted flat bid, I would bid it 350 based on worst case scenarios."

Another one bid 150, but he failed to show up three times, so I decided to do a DIY.

Removed the hose. Water was leaking from the hose bib handle and from the back flow device. I tightened the nuts in the host bib using channel lock and the host bib leak stopped. Now I want to replace the back flow preventer.

Back flow preventer - I am seeing it for the first time, googled and tried to remove it. This back flow preventer has NO set screw. Tried removing it using a Rigid pipe wrench, no luck. How do I remove it? Should I use an angle grinder to cut it? What is the best way to remove the back flow preventer short of calling a plumber?

I do have plans to call a plumber later and replace all 4 outdated hose bibs.

Thanks.

I don't see any backflow device if you are on city water there should be a seperate water meter and a (testable) backflow device,this seperates your drinking water(before the backflow device) and the lawn irrigation water
(Non potable) after the back flow device your plumber should know which type to install, there are (2)...

Back flow preventer - I am seeing it for the first time, googled and tried to remove it. This back flow preventer has NO set screw. Tried removing it using a Rigid pipe wrench, no luck. How do I remove it? Should I use an angle grinder to cut it? What is the best way to remove the back flow preventer short of calling a plumber?
Thanks.

I cut them off with a sawzall, hacksaw, oscillator tool or even a dremel with wheel.
Don’t cut too deep or you’ll ruin your hose threads.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-V...P8voh_l6Ocg8BTCtDaIaAsWjEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was able to successfully cut the back flow preventer by using a hacksaw and removed it from hose bib. Bought a new back flow preventer from Home Depot, applied WD40 on the rusted threads on hose bib. But was unable to attach the back flow preventer. Upon noticing closely, I realized I had made the newbie mistake - cutting the threads of the hose bib. I know many of you warned me earlier. Now I'll find a plumber to replace the hose bib. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Not bad, I have seen worse. LOL You gave it an effort tho.

Yes, at least I am learning basic troubleshooting in plumbing by making mistakes :)

Never attempted to fix simple issues around the house. I have been a homeowner for 15+ years and only last week I bought a pipe wrench and a channellock :D Shows the kind of person I am.

Latest posts

Back