Help Me Identify This Shower Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcmurry

Reaction score
This valve is in the Master Shower that looks to be about 25 years old. I don't recognize it.
I think it was put in during the days when people were flow restrictor crazy. I get poor volume and I can hear loads of water noise when the valve is fully open. The noise sounds like a restrictor and seems to be coming from behind the valve.

The only access I have to the plumbing is from the back of the wall which is drywall.
If I can identify the make and model, I might find there are flow valves inside or something. That would be an easy fix.

If there is nothing, I might have to rip it out and install a newer valve.

If anyone recognizes this fixture and can give me a hint that will help me look it up online, I would be extremely grateful.

Greg

2022-11-11 09.24.54_s.jpg

It’s a Moen

Take all the trim off so we can see the rough valve.

There are NO flow restrictors built in to that valve.
The shower head would be the ONLY place to find flow restrictor.

After checking the showerhead for any obstructions, I suggest replacing the moen 1200 cartridge.

There is no pressure balancing on the old Moen Chateau shower valve. It can use a 1200 or a 1225 cartridge.
There won't be any restrictions in the valve at all.

I am in Park City, UT and this place has tons of PEX. Not my favorite for sure. 25 year old house and still no problems.
It's not PEX, it's polybutylene. Do a search on that and you will know why we plumbers don't like it.

Latest posts

Back