Help me, help my 78 year old aunt.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaPlumbo

Reaction score
Can't get a spigot to stop leaking under the house. Here is the set up it has. New spigot. New brass coupling (or copper). Original water line.

The water line is grey, plastic, and some what flexible with a fitting on the end, like a giant nut. No O ring. Surely you know the type of line and end I mean.

This screws onto the new brass coupling. Wrapped 3 to 4 times in new teflon tape on both ends.

Which then screws into the water spigot.

I have done it three times. Tried new brass couplings both times just to be sure. Tried wrapping the teflon tape 2 to 3 wraps and 3 to 3 wraps.

But all three times I turn the water on it leaks at both ends where thr coupling screws in.

The only factor I know is the coupling shoulf not be brass. Please let me know. I have tried making sure I get it plenty tight. Maybe I need to get it tighter. Also don't want to break it though.

Any help is appreciated. If my explanation doesn't make sense I can take a picture or draw it out. I would take one now but not at her house. Thank you.

Sounds like a polybutylene pipe issue with Qest fittings

Last edited:
@Jeff Handy Ok. I will try to post a picture tomorrow. I thought I described it in detail enough. Maybe I put too many details.

Grey plastic line screwed onto a brass coupling with teflon tape. Brass coupling screwed into spigot pipe with teflon tape.

Tried three times with various amounts of teflon tape. Leaking at coupling all three times.

@Jeff Handy Ok. I will try to post a picture tomorrow. I thought I described it in detail enough. Maybe I put too many details.

Grey plastic line screwed onto a brass coupling with teflon tape. Brass coupling screwed into spigot pipe with teflon tape.

Tried three times with various amounts of teflon tape. Leaking at coupling all three times.
Pictures will still help. It certainly cannot hurt.

Never mind. I got it to stop leaking.

I took it apart and made sure I extra sure I wrapped the tape in the correct direction 5 timea or so.

And made sure I got it good and tight.

No leaks this time.

Hurray!
Always wrap the tape clockwise, righty tighty.
And sometimes, if the leak or drip is stubborn, you can also add a thin layer of teflon pipe dope over the tape.
Belt and suspenders.

It looks from the pic that you have a frost proof sillcock.
It also looks like it angles slightly upwards as it goes outside, maybe it is just the camera angle.
If you live in a cold area, it is best if the faucet tilts down, so it can fully drain.

Or maybe your pics are upside down?

Latest posts

Back