HELP installing toilet shutoff. No one at HD can help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesm74

Reaction score
about 4 trips to hardware store in over a year to install shutoff to basement toilet have me no where.
water coming in from metal pipe with a 3/8" male end. Currently there is a 3/8" compression to toilet flex pipe on it. (want to put shutoff on there so I can install wax ring to get toilet to stop leaking when used. main water shutoff doesn't stop water completely to toilet for some reason so need shutoff at toilet which should have anyways)
Only solution HD gave me was a 3/8" compression to 1/2" end and a separate shut off valve piece. Thought that would work, but after a day of trying everything I could think of, could not connect it without it leaking in 1 or 2 places around where 1/2" female end is attached to shutoff.

Any solutions I can do my self would be MUCH appreciated as I'm at my wits in with this thing!!

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

InkedIMG_3882_LI.jpg

OMG they are idiots. Remove the 3/8" comp adapter from the end of the steel water supply pipe. Purchase and install a standard 1/4 turn straight shut-off valve in place of the old adapter. The valve will have to be either 3/8" FIP x 3/8" comp (if the steel pipe is 5/8" outside diameter) or 1/2" FIP x 3/8" comp (if the steel pipe is 7/8" outside diameter).

I remember now that the guy said attaching to the existing 3/8 adapter would be easier than trying to remove it. The guy said it'd probably be rusted on there and it's hard to get to. I'll try removing it. Thanks.

"the guy" is an idiot. Adjustable (Crescent type) wrench on adapter, pipe wrench on pipe. Unscrew adapter -lefty loosey.

Last edited:
The guys working in HD probably got that job restocking shelves. Then they put him on the floor to show people where to find what they are looking for.

Reactions: SHR
Back