HELP! Installing 100`+ new sanitary line!!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dozer

Reaction score
Hello, I will start with the short story of why I am replacing my line. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. My grandfather passed away about a year ago so my father inherited his house. After transferring the house over to himself he received a letter stating he had to dye test and camera his sanitary line. Knowing its terracotta i figured with such a long run it would possibly not pass. Needless to say it did not. I now have to dig up the pipe and possibly even replace the 8" wye main on the street as well if and when I dig the wye up the roots look like it cracked any part of it... I am a journeyman union local 66 operator who has done alot of this similar work but with a blue print and usually on a much larger scale on buildings... I have questions that keep coming up as I make a project plan and material list that I would like to clarify before i waste our money on senseless things that the inspector will fail me for anyways.

I know the terracotta on the lower half of the line and going into the main Wye is 6"s. I am certain the cast iron coming out of the house is 4". I need to place a sch 40 pvc trap within 5` of the home with a fresh air vent, and clean-out on the downstream side of the trap. I am going Friday to pick up an endless supply of 6" sdr 35 pipe and fittings from work and a load of stone. Alot of fittings I will get from work but some I will need to purchase. Now here comes some questions...

1. It says "Traps shall be within 5` of house foundation and fresh air inlet shall be extended above finsiehd grade elevation. In addition, a tee shall be installed on the downstream or main sewer side of the trap with a pipe extending to grade and finished with a clean-out. The clean-out shall be connected to the house swewer or trap using a 4" by 6" SDR adapter coupling."

- After the pvc trap I was gonna connect a 4x6 shielded fernco directly onto the trap and begin running my 6" sdr 35 from there. Is that a problem? I am unaware of what a 4x6 sdr adapter coupling is. Is that also known as a fernco (i know a fernco is a brand of rubber coupling so is that why they call it a adapter? or is it really a white hard adapter? Or does a 4x6 fernco the correct size to go from the 4" trap to a 4" tee hub for the clean-out?

2. If i am running a 6inch sight tee for a clean-out. Is it against code to place a 6" gasketed cap for the top of the clean-out or do I need a threaded cleanout?

I have more questions but dont want to overwhelm you guys and girls :)

why a building trap? is that a local code or something? because its not needed.

upc code says A building trape SHALL NOT be used. unless approved by administration authority
if I was you. fight it. you do not need a trap or a " sewer if your building sewer is 4"

gord head, over whelm me.

BTW..Happy new year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the vent, i would leave a 4'' female adapter flush with the ground, just like a co

for the vent a 4'' male adapter with a 4x2 bushing reducer instslled, and the u-bendfrom a 2'' ptrap on a 12'' piece of pipe. then,,,after inspection. unscrew adapter, install co plug

331b25be-8a96-4bc7-89b6-dc17cfa83c77_zps39bf3e99.jpg

Last edited:
Fernco will work but they do make SDR 35 reducers. You can get concentric which will put both holes centered or eccentric which will keep your flow line correct if you are using it horizontally. On your 100' run you might want to toss in a clean out half way through just incase you need access later.

As for the clean out you might want to use a wye so that it will help run a cable in the right direction if you ever need to.

You can do a gasketed cap but I would pull the gasket out of it or you will have a hard time getting it off later.

Thanks for the replys. In allegheny county we are required to have a trap within 5 feet from the home. Unless the sewer line is 6 feet or deeper.

Does anyone know what that 4 x 6 adapter is they speak of?

hold on there!!!! i since a big ole loop hole opening up

how deep is the sewer tap? you can run your sewer deep, then 45 up at your clean out

IN my opinion, i would not use sdr 35 I would ONLY use sch 40
sdr is thin wall, tends to oval/collapse

i am curious as to their rational of a trap but not if 6' deep. very curious

like a cat , curious. want answers curious

now its bugging me,

331b25be-8a96-4bc7-89b6-dc17cfa83c77_zps39bf3e99.jpg

Last edited:
Frodo, 90% of our mains out west are sdr35 and for over 15' deep we go to sdr26.

That and a good gravel bed and gravel all around the pipe. No gravel and it will oval and crush. Gravel locks together. We have to mandrel and video most of our installs so it has to be good. Other than that we use clay but not often any more.

The sewer is only 4 feet deep if not shallower. By the main it's about 8 feet deep. Code says the trap must be sch 40, anything past the trap could be sdr 35. I need to call inspector and see if I can put the shielded 4pl x 6pl fernco straight onto the trapor if they want a pvc fitting. It's gonna be hard around here to find a reducing sch 40 reducing coupler to a sdr 35.

Also. I am finding alot of non gasketed fittings around our shops lay down area that fit sdr pipe like a glove. Can you glue these fittings that fit snug or is sdr only gasket fittings? I cannot tell if they are sdr or sch 40 fittings. The way they fit is nice with no play so it makes me think they are for it?

Frodo. I am assuming they do not want a trap deeper than 6 feet because for them to try to snake a trap or camera it below 6 feet would be to hard to push anything through. I could be way off but that was my thought,

They make gasketed and glue fittings in SDR. We use clear glue for the SDR.

Go to any waterworks/ pipeline supply house and they will have all the parts you need including that reducer. These are different from a plumbing supply house.

HD Supply waterworks
Ferguson waterworks

These two are nation wide.

Around here irrigation supply places carry SDR 35 pipe and fittings.

Read this and draw me a diagram of how you think this should look. Without me digging the house line up I am going to assume it's a 4" line coming out. I'll provide what I think it is trying to portray

1420186596194.jpg

Latest posts

Back