Help in identifying this clean-out cap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokemup

Reaction score
I'll attach a couple pics of the cover. I need to replace it due to its losing the battle with a lawnmower! Tnx.

Attachments

• 20200411_144020.jpg
    20200411_144020.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200411_141514.jpg
    20200411_141514.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200411_141059.jpg
    20200411_141059.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Called a 4" No-Hub "blind cap"
Important note: Generally, you do NOT want to tighten the hose clamp.
If that is the main clean-out cap for a dwelling, having it loose allows it to pop off and allow a back-up down stream to overflow outdoors rather than indoors.

Just an idea, but I would use a lower profile cap to avoid another chopped up cap.

I have replaced many caps like that with just a typical rubber or epdm cap.
Measure the outside diameter of the riser before going to HD or Lowe’s or wherever.

Might not be code, but works well.

I have also sometimes used unglued pvc caps and spray painted them orange.
In areas where kids or dogs are playing and the cap could be a trip hazard.
You can get spray paint for plastic.
A light sanding helps regular spray paint stick a little better.

Tnx guys. So I should be able to pull the cap off if the hose clamp is loose. I have a strap wrench, but from what you say, the cap is not threaded? Nice beard breplum! Jeff Handy, I was thinking a taller cap to make the mower guy not roll his zero turn fancy mower over it.

Nuther question. This cleanout is right at the street next to the incoming water meter. Should I be looking to see if I have another one at the house foundation?

Why go taller?

Those lawn guys are hauling ass, better to just keep the cap out of their way.

And a low profile black cap would get less notice from vandals who sometimes like to drop stuff down there, like bricks or whatever.

As far as another clean out, I usually only see one or the other. Close or far.

But sometimes towns will come through and add free clean outs near the sidewalk as a big project for whole neighborhoods.
This helps to clear out roots from parkway trees, and also access the line back to the house.

Even if the homeowner already had one near the house, which was probably added after a sewer repair from roots, or broken pipe or tiles from settling.

Pros will have more info.

Latest posts

Back