Help identifying tub faucet (& what I need)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quaker

Reaction score
I have a 25-yr-old tub faucet that's just fallen apart. It was getting a little leaky anyway, so I should probably replace everything. I am not a plumber, but we are quarantined and immune-compromised, so I'm committed to ordering parts from Amazon Prime (for quick delivery + free returns) and figuring out how to fix it myself. I have several questions:

1) I need help confirming what it is. I think it's a Moentrol. Here are photos:

Moen 1.jpg Moen 2.jpg Moen 3.jpg

2) How do I remove the trim/stop tube? There are no exposed screws. I can unscrew the stem cover but that white plastic ring blocks it. Do I just need to pry that off?

3) What do I need to buy?
  • Cartridge: I assume I need to replace this, and I think it's the Moen 1225, but would love to get confirmation of that.
  • Lever kit: Can I somehow save this decent-looking kit by just replacing the innards (that's a technical term), or should I be replacing the whole thing?
  • If I need to replace the whole thing, will any Moentrol kit work -- something like this or this or this?
  • Do I need anything else?
4) Finally, I'll look on YouTube, but if there are there any videos on this you'd particularly recommend, that would be welcome.

I haven't been to this community in a long time, but I appreciate what a great community it is, so thank you in advance.

It is a Moen.
If the handle rotates only, then it is a 1222
If it is push-pull and rotation, then 1225

Latest posts

Back