Help identifying Moen diverter and possible diverter replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSC249

Reaction score
Hello and TY for reading this.
I have Moen Chateau valve and Trim T991, and I thought (ugh, me thinking) that Moen would be able to get me the right diverter. However, after stripping everything down to the valves, I have no idea what diverter is in there and more importantly, if it can even be replaced. I've attached, hopefully, 3 pics for your reference.
Moen sent me part number 161772 (Roman Tub Diverter Kit) but this does not appear to be the correct part for the Chatea valves in there.
Can this diverter in the pics be replaced without replacing the valve?
TYshower plumbing 1.jpgshower plumbing 2.jpgshower plumbing 3.jpg

You should have gotten a diverter removal tool along with the right diverter. Look at an exploded parts diagram.
See: https://s1.img-b.com/mediabase/prod...mMtMDg4Zi00MGZkLWIyOWMtN2Y0OTA2MjBhNGQ2#page1
TY - for some reason I haven't come across that exploded diagram yet. Spoke with Moen and can't get the tool from them or anywhere else, for a couple of weeks. Not sure why it wouldn't have come with the original "Kit" I bought and paid extra to have shipped expidited... now my shower is out of commission and we're stuck using the kids bathroom... yuk!

Replace that moen faucet with a Delta faucet.

Moen likes to make things difficult, like special wrenches.

Update
After speaking with my 3rd moen rep, I finally figured out the heart of the issue. I specifically said "I" (meaning @breplum and I) figured it out because none of them could tell I had an old installation, prior to 2018, that required entirely different kits.

@breplum TY
Your exploded view finally got me working in the right direction! I had been working off an exploded view for the newer version of the Chateau lines and No One at Moen had figured that out till I pointed out differences in what I had with the differences in their more recent exploded parts view after comparing to the list sent by @breplum

Last edited:
Replace that moen faucet with a Delta faucet.

Moen likes to make things difficult, like special wrenches.
Maybe next time around :) The only reason I am doing this is because the previous owner, who did much by himself was an idiot... and I was forced to address a termite issue immediately. This was not a project I had planned.

Here's the back story if you want to see the nightmare I had to deal with:
Termite swarmers started coming out from behind severely poor grouting and in some cases little to no grouting where her tiled directly from the tub up... Exterminator called and contract signed./ However, I still had the issue with water leaking down behind tub. Tried to remove diverter from tub spout but low and behold, he had installed the Roman faucets, THEN tiled around it making a cute little niche that was too low to remove the diverter. You can see in one of the pics that He Actually Added the support to the top of the niche at a height that makes it impossible to remove the diverter and spout! Not to mention, the deck of the niche was covered with a regular piece of floor laminate (not tile), simply glued to a piece of wood that was the deck. While the niche "looked" nice, you could clearly see upon closer inspection, water was simply draining down behind the tub, soaking the "wood deck" that was not treated in any way. After finally ripping out a bunch of tiles, I come to see that he did not use any cement board in the niche and had simply glued tile to the wood, not thin set mortar, glued! Needed to say many part we're corroded beyond use. Fortunately, the valve stems are in tact and working and it was only a matter of some additional hardware from Moen that was needed. I've attached a few pics of the nightmare...

The last pic is where I'm at till I get the new hardware from moen. 1/2" piece of pressure treated wood for the deck. I'll kills both sides of the wood for the deck and the rest of the interior niche. I'm covering with 1/4" cement board because the deck is so narrow, I don't think I could put the handles back on if I used 1/2"... Non-acryllic seam tape, thin-set mortar and reguard and I should finally be good to go. Oh yea, I'm dropping some boric acid back there to help prevent anyone from coming back.

Last thing: since I removed that termite infested deck, nearly eaten whole, I haven't seen one since. Still keeping the exterminator contract just to be safe.20230313_144623.jpg20230312_150647.jpg20230310_112056.jpg20230314_150431.jpg20230318_110701.jpg20230318_144059.jpg20230318_205945.jpg

Latest posts

Back