Help Identifying a mixer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarianneR

Reaction score
kohler_mixer.jpg

There's no part# I can see and Kohler's "how to identify" doesnt have a match. Is the GP77759 a match for this? I don't want to order the wrong part!

Thanks so much. Is there a way to plug this if something goes wrong? I have to turn off the water for the entire condo to replace this. I'm concerned that if I break the old unit getting it out and there's something wrong with the new one I won''t be able to turn the water back on until I can get another.

Thanks so much. Is there a way to plug this if something goes wrong? I have to turn off the water for the entire condo to replace this. I'm concerned that if I break the old unit getting it out and there's something wrong with the new one I won''t be able to turn the water back on until I can get another.
Probably not. It possible could have integral stop valves on the rough valve in the wall but I doubt it.

Call a pro if you can, you’re in a condo and would be responsible for other people condos if they flood.

Take a look through the plastic spacer, through the holes at 3:00 and 9:00 o’clock position.

That is where the service stops would be.
They are usually a round post with a slot in it.

Post some pics of what you see.
You might need a flashlight to get decent pics.

It almost looks like I can see one in your pic, see my zoomed version. 6B100C1E-EA7C-4875-8647-24B7419D3810.png

valve_close.jpg

I see it! Are you saying I can shut the water off with these valves instead of turning if off for the entire unit? I wish I knew about these when it started dripping!!!

Yes, if they work.
Sometimes they will not turn, if not operated for many years.

I don’t know if they are 1/4 turn or multi-turn, pros on here would know.

You might want to try turning them off, then open your shower valve, wait a few mins, if dripping stops you are probably good to take everything apart.

The piece further inside, behind the mixer, is the pressure balancer module.
Also a source of leaks or drips.

Kohler has a habit of changing parts, making old parts obsolete, so Kohler cust svc should know the current model numbers etc.

Parts might be free from them, maybe not.
Always say you are the original owner.
Maybe you can email or text your pic of your valve to them, or live chat.

I think the warranty might only go back ten years, but fight for free, because parts are expensive.

Ask for extra o rings or seals, they can get damaged or lost during your repairs.
Use the silicone grease they send, it is important.

Watch some Youtube vids on your procedure.

They work. So I feel better now. Do you really need to replace the whole thing, or can you just replace the washers? I bought the whole thing, but we just replaced washers in the old days.

The only thing I hate about integral stops is when they leak. Or the ones with washers, the washers break off and jam up in the valve.

Hopefully you will not have a problem.

They're sending me one for free! They have a lifetime warranty; she initially said I needed proof of purchase but original equipment in a new condo seems to be ok.

I hate Kohler tech support. Half of them do not know their product.

I know why too.....

Did they send you both parts?

I don't know. The chat girl just placed the order. I have 2 showers dripping (not anymore that I found the valves!) but she wasn't giving me 2 of them. Whatever I get is gravy. I bought one set already.

Again, so you really need to replace the back unit or could you just replace the washers? Are there any moving parts? What is actually worn out that causes the drip? Isn't it usually a dried out washer?

I hate Kohler tech support. Half of them do not know their product.

I know why too.....
I hate Kohler parts. I have 4 bathrooms, each one has different everything. Different toilet, different faucets. Some designer thought they were being edgy, and it's just a PIA. I'm surprised the showers have the same mixer. Of course they were installed by chimps. In the other shower they covered up the service valves with gunk and I had to dig them out.

Here’s Kohler problem.

They like to make several version of a faucet with different parts but not change the model number of the faucet.

They have redesigned a part for a tub filler they make but the redesigned part doesn’t work. I made a new washer like the original and it’s working fine. Little things like that.

Some of there stuff is good but most of it......well, I’d just pick something else.

Good luck with your repair. 👍

You can not change any washers for shower valves like yours.

Both parts are complicated and are sealed units made of metal and plastic.

Changing just the mixer might work, but I doubt it.

FYI if you change the parts, don’t start celebrating right away if it looks dry.

Sometimes the shower head riser has to slowly fill up before the drip comes back.

Watch videos on Youtube for installation procedures.

I read that they have well over 100 variations on something as basic as a toilet fill valve.
They’re so stupid.....

They sent me new rough lavatory valves for a customer. Said my old trim would fit on it.,

It didn’t.,

So I have the customers two wide spreads torn apart.,

I call back. You know what the guy says ?

“ They should’ve never send those parts out without verifying a receipt “

I said WTF are you talking about......You better make this RIGHT and send the trim that fitszzzzz

Goes back to them altering the faucets without changing model numbers. They even had pictures of everything ......I sent them.

The engineers who constantly change and update and make parts obsolete should be forced to try to repair their garbage themselves, to teach them how bad it is.
Even when things work, they are often over-engineered jokes waiting to fail.

The engineers who constantly change and update and make parts obsolete should be forced to try to repair their garbage themselves, to teach them how bad it is.
Even when things work, they are often over-engineered jokes waiting to fail.
There’s awkward silence on the phone when you tell them their parts didn’t work so I just went to the store and bought some sheet rubber snd made the old part myself.........

And now I’d like a refund for the $30.00 o ring kit you sent out that didn’t work. Plus shipping.....
Loving that lifetime warranty.

2-3 trips later......I end up making my own part.

Latest posts

Back