Help identifying a late 80s air gap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grundiy

Reaction score
I'm currently working on adding a ceramic tile backsplash to our wall behind the kitchen sink. One of the items mounted on the wall is this old air gap. Ideally the face plate and air gap cover would be updated, white, replacements to match the rest of our new receptacles and switches. I believe it's connected to the dishwasher but am not entirely sure. I'm not sure what this style of air gap is called and therefore haven't been able to find much info online about them. The house was built in 1988.

1. What's a safe way to detach this air gap? The two flathead screws are loose but a pry bar and a bit of force hasn't popped it off yet. Is the round piece bonded towhatever is behind it with some sort of adhesive?
  2. What is the replacement part called? I'm happy to replace it but am not quite sure what to search.
    12B43DD4-94EF-4FF9-8C8D-A87FD60CEEC8.jpeg

Can't you take the screws right out?????

They're completely unscrewed in the photo. The face plate spins freely but the round center vent won't budge. Can't tell if the round piece is held together with a bonding agent or is threaded.

I’d take a hammer to that. Just say’n

Thats probably stupidest idea I’ve ever seen

Looks like the plastic is filed or ground down around the screws, if you use a small drill bit and a drill you could grind around the screws maybe it will come out then

I'm currently working on adding a ceramic tile backsplash to our wall behind the kitchen sink. One of the items mounted on the wall is this old air gap. Ideally the face plate and air gap cover would be updated, white, replacements to match the rest of our new receptacles and switches. I believe it's connected to the dishwasher but am not entirely sure. I'm not sure what this style of air gap is called and therefore haven't been able to find much info online about them. The house was built in 1988.

1. What's a safe way to detach this air gap? The two flathead screws are loose but a pry bar and a bit of force hasn't popped it off yet. Is the round piece bonded towhatever is behind it with some sort of adhesive?
  2. What is the replacement part called? I'm happy to replace it but am not quite sure what to search.
    View attachment 31350
It’s called a Johnson tee air gap. Not common of course but they exist.

Indeed this thing is called a Johnson tee. After messing with it a bit I figured out it is held in place by friction with a rubber o-ring and not threaded or bonded like I originally thought. Had to apply pressure from all directions with a plastic scraper to pop it off. You can see in the photo I ended up cracking it a bit. A replacement is non-existent online from what I can tell. Anyways, hope this might help someone in the future.
IMG_5967.JPG

Back