help i cant remove bathutub spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imig93

Reaction score
i cannot this off for the life of me i was thinking of just cutting the pipe but it does not extend long at all.. what should i do

Attachments

• 5930EF49-2939-4524-A0BF-2CE7B731E065.jpeg
    5930EF49-2939-4524-A0BF-2CE7B731E065.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
You could heat the end of the spout with a torch then try to remove it with a pipe wrench.

You could just try to turn it with a pipe wrench and not heat it.

You could try to remove the galvanized nipple out of the 1/2” sweat x 1/2” FIP ell.
Heating the brass ell would help.

You could remove the ell off the copper pipe and start there with new copper.

What you don’t want to do is twist your copper trying to remove the spout, it’s tighter than the copper is strong.......

Here is the wise old plumber's answer:
  • Abandon that crappy old valve that has no pressure balancing.
  • Get a new modern valve made by a major mfr not named Glacier Bay or Rohl or Waterworks
  • Reframe the wall so that there is approx. 16" normal stud spacing with the tub center as the middle. This way you can get flat blocking or sturdi-brackets in place which will allow for normal drop ear fittings that are secured to the blocking.

Last edited:
You could heat the end of the spout with a torch then try to remove it with a pipe wrench.

You could just try to turn it with a pipe wrench and not heat it.

You could try to remove the galvanized nipple out of the 1/2” sweat x 1/2” FIP ell.
Heating the brass ell would help.

You could remove the ell off the copper pipe and start there with new copper.

What you don’t want to do is twist your copper trying to remove the spout, it’s tighter than the copper is strong.......
thank you for reply… so i managed to twist it off but the pipe twist with it? do i just twist it back on with the new soout or does it need saudered?

Back