help fixing leaking kitchen faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs.gabriels

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

We have one of these (Kohler?) faucets in our kitchen sink. It leaks when running at half to max capacity. I replaced the valve, which didn't fix it, and I can't get to the rings that the fixing kit comes with -- see parts in Parts.jpg. I watched several videos online and apparently the faucet itself is supposed to come off so I can swap the rings, but when I try pulling it up, the whole kitchen sink wants to come with it!

Any suggestions how to pull it apart? See Shot1.jpg and Shot2.jpg showing where I'm at.

Many thanks!
RS

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Shot2.JPG
    Shot2.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Shot1.JPG
    Shot1.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 20
From the joint between the actual faucet and the sink. I marked it in the attachment.

Thanks, Jeff!

Attachments

• Shot2-withleak.JPG
    Shot2-withleak.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 9
Is there a set screw anywhere on the back of the spout at the base of the faucet. Turn the spout as far as
you can to see it.

Yes, you need to change those spout o rings.
And clean any crud or minerals out of the grooves.
Then apply some silicone valve grease on the o rings, which might have come with the repair kit.

However, I don’t know how to remove the spout.

Contact Kohler cust svc, they have excellent tech support.

Find the number on Google.

I have called them many times for help.

Pros on here might jump in with advice.

I think with the valve handle off and valve removed, the spout should be able to be wiggled off while pulling up.

Call Kohler for advice.

Jeff makes a great point about reassembling faucet repairs with silicon grease. We often refer to it as stem grease. Using it can make any faucet like new again!

If the spout won't lift off easily, like the spotless new faucet in the video, after removing the bonnet & cartridge, dry the area where cartridge sat, use a rag or sponge, and pour in some vinegar.
Let it sit for an hour, spout will (probably) lift easily now,
Dried minerals can have tremendous strength, but the mild acid in vinegar loosens & dissolves them.
/

Jeff: Thanks, but can't take credit, stolen from the customer service people at Price-Pfister.

Latest posts

Back