Help Diagnose Plumbing Cause

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anchan

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been running in recurring plumbing issues the past few months. It is driving me crazy and every plumbers I hire tell me different things and issues are not resolved.

1)The first incident happened in March 2021 when there was a sewer backup in the toilet and bathtub. Issue was resolved temporary by plumber #1 with a 60ft snake to unclog and cut down all the tree roots. Everything was back to normal for a few months, but I can still smell the sewer from time to time.

2) The second incident happened last week. Water from upper unit (I live in a duplex) was overflowing in the open pipe next to my washer/dryer. Whenever upper unit uses toilet, shower and washer, water would overflow from that pipe. Plumber #1 came in and did the same exercise as before (60ft snake) plus a super FLUSH with super powerful water. After spending almost $2K, issue still not fixed. Plumber suspect collapse in the pipeline, but said to continue using it until the issue happens again 🙄…..

3) The third incident happened the next day after talking to plumber #1… same overflow issue happened given they didn’t fix anything. Called in another plumber #2 to look at the issue. This time plumber #2 said is an internal clog inside the house, completely opposite of what plumber #1 said ( external pipe collapse). This time he did a simple snake on the stake line and unclog some lint from the pipe. Based on his explanation, the clog is internal in a different pipe hence whatever plumber #1 wouldn’t solve the issue…I was beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel…. It was good for 1.5 day and same issue happened again 😭😭😭

4) Today…some water overflow when upper unit uses water, but not immediately.

There goes my sad story as I am fearful of flooding happening anytime! So appreciate any theory or ideas of what could be the cause and what action I should take!

Ann

Why not get as many lines as you can scoped with a camera. Then you can find out if it's a clog or collapse and see the condition of the inside of the piping.

Our best sewer cleaning company here narrows these issues down and the plumber comes to fix it. It's the best way to go.

Run a camera down the line. The reason it is coming out the stand pipe is because that is a open pipe and the back up is creating pressure and it reliefs itself at the nearest open/lowest fixture. If you had a tub or shower on that stack it would back up into them.

Hi there,

I have been running in recurring plumbing issues the past few months. It is driving me crazy and every plumbers I hire tell me different things and issues are not resolved.

1)The first incident happened in March 2021 when there was a sewer backup in the toilet and bathtub. Issue was resolved temporary by plumber #1 with a 60ft snake to unclog and cut down all the tree roots. Everything was back to normal for a few months, but I can still smell the sewer from time to time.

2) The second incident happened last week. Water from upper unit (I live in a duplex) was overflowing in the open pipe next to my washer/dryer. Whenever upper unit uses toilet, shower and washer, water would overflow from that pipe. Plumber #1 came in and did the same exercise as before (60ft snake) plus a super FLUSH with super powerful water. After spending almost $2K, issue still not fixed. Plumber suspect collapse in the pipeline, but said to continue using it until the issue happens again 🙄…..

3) The third incident happened the next day after talking to plumber #1… same overflow issue happened given they didn’t fix anything. Called in another plumber #2 to look at the issue. This time plumber #2 said is an internal clog inside the house, completely opposite of what plumber #1 said ( external pipe collapse). This time he did a simple snake on the stake line and unclog some lint from the pipe. Based on his explanation, the clog is internal in a different pipe hence whatever plumber #1 wouldn’t solve the issue…I was beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel…. It was good for 1.5 day and same issue happened again 😭😭😭

4) Today…some water overflow when upper unit uses water, but not immediately.

There goes my sad story as I am fearful of flooding happening anytime! So appreciate any theory or ideas of what could be the cause and what action I should take!

Ann

What size pipe are the plumbers cleaning the drain from ? Can you take some pics ?

Do you own this property?
Do you own both units?
If the people above you own their unit, they should be paying half of all these bills.
There is a clog in the common sewer that you are both connected to.
If you rent, the landlord should take care of this.

Back