Help - Can't unscrew flared end of Delta Kitchen Faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCGuitarDad

Reaction score
Hello All. After speaking to a Delta faucet rep recently, I'm writing here to doublecheck what I was told. Reason being that I feel like I'm going to break my kitchen faucet soon if I keep applying force.

The faucet is a Delta Victorian 155-RBWF SINGLE HANDLE KITCHEN FAUCET. It has a fancy antique bronze finish, which I've managed to now scuff.

Quick backstory is that our home has hard water with no treatment and this faucet has been in use for about 12 years. Deposits have formed. The aerator broke inside and started to cause flow problems. Because I couldn't find a key in stores to remove it, I pulled out about half of it with pliers. Now flow is worse. I finally called Delta who told me that, based on my description of the faucet, I shouldn't need a key. They said I need to "unscrew" the end of the flared faucet and the aerator will be accessible to remove.

Well I tried with every manner of grip for my hands. I brushed away deposits with vinegar. I inserted a small blade into the gap around the flared end. I removed any deposits I could find. But still no movement whatsoever. So I took out my Channellock pliers and a thick piece of rubber to protect the faucet. I was very careful. The pliers somehow bit through the rubber and nicked the finish. The faucet end is still not moving, even with a wrench. Not even a little bit.

Can someone please confirm that this is removable? And, if so, ideas on how to safely remove it would be most appreciated! The new aerator and ball cartridge is on its way from Delta, free of charge, and they've been very helpful so far.

Thanks all!

Yup, I kind of figured that when you had said, "to unscrew it, it's the OPPOSITE direction: clockwise". It is not opposite.
Those threads, as most threads, are all standard right hand thread. CW to screw in , CCW to screw out. If it screws in from the bottom, then that's the direction it is being screwed from and that is what you should be visualizing when thinking CW vs CCW.

Maybe that's why you had a problem getting it out when first tried.;)

Yup, I kind of figured that when you had said, "to unscrew it, it's the OPPOSITE direction: clockwise". It is not opposite.
Those threads, as most threads, are all standard right hand thread. CW to screw in , CCW to screw out. If it screws in from the bottom, then that's the direction it is being screwed from and that is what you should be visualizing when thinking CW vs CCW.

Maybe that's why you had a problem getting it out when first tried.;)
Yeah, I WAS originally unscrewing it the wrong way and tightened it. It took awhile to figure out that I had to think of it from the other direction, which is why I mentioned about "opposite." True though, it technically isn't!

Back