Help Bathroom Mould/Corrosion - Impossible to Resolve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve1990

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping someone may be able to provide some advice. I recently purchased an apartment in the South of Spain. The building is only 10 years old however I completely renovated the 2 x bathrooms, I stripped out everything and replaced it with new. Both the bathrooms are internal with no natural light or venting however both have extractor fans fitted.

The metal fixtures in both bathrooms (although primarily the main one) have been suffering from either a form of mould or corrosion, I'm not sure which. The ‘dirt’ that appears can be wiped/scrubbed clean however it reappears normally within 24-48 hours maximum. Initially I suspected high humidity/mould was the issue as despite the extractor the main bathroom does get very steamy/humid when showering. To try and resolve this I installed a second larger extractor in the main bathroom directly above the shower and I bought/run a small dehumidifier in the room 24/7.

The issue however didn’t go away. I then bought a hygrometer to monitor the humidity. Whilst the humidity spikes during showering it drops back within 10-20 minutes to between 50-60% humidity (the ideal range from what I understand).

I’ve tried cleaning this mould/dirt/corrosion with vinegar, bleach, antibacterial sprays and bathroom cleaner sprays. No matter what I use it reappears. There is no sign of dampness, mould or damage anywhere else in the bathroom although the main bathroom on occasion has an odd smell. The ceiling/ceramics are fine it’s only the metal fixtures that suffer from the issue? I’ve attached some photos of the problem which can be accessed via the link below. Help!?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1i8jy34rs/

Back