Help - 58" bathtub?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punch1

Reaction score
My existing bathtub measures 58" wide by 30" deep and 15" tall. I am looking to replace it but cannot find anything that is only 58" wide. Everything out there seems to be 60". I have to replace two of these but am at a stand still. Making the rough opening wider to accommodate a 60" tub is not an option. Please, any help or suggestions?

Thanks, Pat

It sounds like you are just 2" short from a standard tub insert. I know some fiberglass inserts have the ability to cut off 1" from each side, allowing it to fit within your perameters. If expanding thee rough opening is not an option (can't understand why not?), then your only others options are to pay big bucks for a custom fit tub, or reduce the size to the newer 48" soaking tubs which have become quite popular in some areas. If this is a retrofit, often times you can locate an exact match at a building material salvage yard, or have your tub re-epoxied, if possible.

Thanks fo the quick reply. I should have expanded on my post a bit more. The existing tub is a one piece tub with surrounding walls. Now, I want to install just a tub unit and replace what's there and then install wall tile around all three walls around the tub. I will check into you idea on cutting off 1" of each side of the tub because that sounds like it would be the easiest of anything I can think of.

From what I am envisioning, increasing the rough opening by 1" on each side would compel me to replace all the 2x4's with 2x2 1/2's on both end walls and do it the full length of the bathroom because I plan on continuing the tub wall tile out into the rest of the bathroom along the full length of the wall.

Certainly correct me if I'm wrong in what I'm envisioning.

Thanks,

Pat

You are on the right track but depending on "load bearing" walls, it is possible to shave down just the first two 2x4's, then step out with tile to the original wall thickness, provided it worked for you.

I completely picture what you are saying now. No load bearing walls here but both are plumbing walls. The left side services this tub and the right side services a different tub in an adjacent bedroom bath. I've got to tear the drywall off either way to install backer board so hopefully no 4" stacks going up either wall!

Thanks.

Pat

I'm going to venture a guess here... I doubt the OP's original 1-piece tub and walls is actually a 58" R.O the OP is probably measuring wrong. These things came 60" standard, and other sizes too but not 58".

Pat where are you taking your measurements from?

You can sand the tub from both sides 1inch you can get a sander from any hardware store .and that way you dont have to worry about the size

Back