Hello, well pump replacement question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil_Myers

Reaction score
Hello,
I'll be replacing the pump on this well. It's about 150 feet deep. I'll unscrew the union and loosen the four nuts. I plan on my other guy to keep lifting it up then I'll cut the PVC that runs to the pump in ten or foot sections until the pump comes all the way out. Does this sound reasonable?

Attachments

• IMG_20210531_092833391_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210531_092833391_HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 7
Typically well pipe is in 20-ft sections of Schd 80 PVC, with threaded connections. And, you lift it the twenty feet at a time, and unscrew the joints.

How do you plan to clamp it between lifts? Are you planning on replacing all of teh pipe?

Yes, I plan on replacing the drop pipe. I am assuming it is PVC, although I'm not 100% sure. We'll secure it with wood blocks and clamps. Is there anything special regarding taking off the well seal? I was going to loosen the bolts, unscrew the union, disconnect and pry off the seal. I should be able to tell at that point if it's PVC.

Anyone use Nuwell?

Do not remove the nuts on the well seal or the bolts will fall in the well. Loosen the nuts and lift the well seal at the same time as pulling the pipe. And yes it is plastic pipe as that is a sch 40 tee on top. You should use poly, or PVC sch 80 or 120 threaded and never glue pipe down the well. You can probably pull all the pipe out of the well without disconnecting it. Just don't bend it too much at the top and it won't break at the couplings. Keep a big arc coming out of the well and have someone take the well seal 150' across the yard. Put it back in the same way. Put it all together in the yard and bend it over and drop it in the well.

Latest posts

Back